Small Woodland Owners' Group

New User - Hello from Mellor, Lancashire

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

New User - Hello from Mellor, Lancashire

Postby d198594t » Wed May 01, 2013 12:08 pm

Hello people, my name is Rob Forrest. I've just moved house with my wife & 2 cats a couple of junctions down the M6 from North Preston to Mellor, near Blackburn. The property is an converted Huntsmans cottage on the old Woodfold Park country estate and I'm very happy to say that we also purchased a little over 1 acre of ancient woodland into the bargain.

We plan on taking our responsibilities as a woodland owners very seriously so I'm sure I'll be trawling the forum for hits, tips and help very often.

I'm pretty sure the previous owners didn't 'do' any woodland management of any sort. And I guess thats what I have to get my head around first. I haven't got any grand plans for living off the wood or making money from it or anything like that. A few cubic meters of deadwwod for the wood burner will be fine thanks. I think my main motivation is simply to protect it, nurture it, and provide a place for wildlife to thrive and survive.

Any useful words of encouragement or advice along the way would be greatly apprecaited. If there's anyone in the Mellor area with useful contacts, advice etc. please let me know.

Rob.
d198594t

Re: New User - Hello from Mellor, Lancashire

Postby Judith » Wed May 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi Rob,

Welcome to Swog! I hope you'll find the forum and the website useful. Don't forget to trawl our sister site, woodlands.co.uk, which is packed with information too.

Good luck with your new house and woodland.

Judith
Judith

Postby Bearwood » Wed May 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Welcome along! Even though the forum isn't as active as others I frequent, the search function has revealed a sack load of information.

Enjoy the world of woodland ownership!
Bearwood

Postby d198594t » Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks Judith, Bearwood, much appreciated. Looking forwards to chatting with you.

Rob
d198594t

Postby The Barrowers » Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Hello. We are in the South East, East Sussex but I'm sure that the knowledge wafting around here is relevant nationally. Ask a question someone will have an answer or an opinion. Welcome B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Return to Introductions