Small Woodland Owners' Group

Would like to own/partner ...

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Would like to own/partner ...

Postby trs » Tue May 21, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi

My name is Tony and I hail from Lancashire, UK (currently residing just outside Preston). About ten years ago I decided to retrain out of computers and get into Tree Surgery/Woodland Management. I completed the RFS Certificate in Arboriculture and got my basic chainsaw and climbing certificates. After spending three years buying gear and working with trees at weekends, life happened and I ended up with a family!

So here I am in 2013 ... still working in computers and no woodland. I now content myself carving as much greenwood as possible (when time permits). I started off with spoons, but will pretty much have a go at anything (owls, ash catchers, wooden hearts for jewellery, tree spirits and even a bit of relief carving). I also make the odd walking stick, but prefer carving if I'm honest. My three year old is desperate to carve and I'm not sure how long it will be before I have to find a suitable knife for him (shhh, don't tell his mum).

Last year I had a go on a shave horse and pole lathe and became hooked. I have now built a shave horse and am looking forward to making a bungee lathe and attending a workshop in September. At which point the missus will think I have left home.

The next logical move for me is to either buy my own woodland that I can coppice manage or get into some sort of partnership so that I could aid in the proper management of a piece of woodland, utilise existing skills, develop my conservation/management skills and end up with enough wood to carve in the hope of selling stuff and offering demonstrations/workshops in traditional crafts. If there is anyone out there who is interested in partnering or renting some woodland, please give me a shout. Obviously I'm aiming this at anyone in the Lancashire/South Cumbria area, but I have a friend who is based in the East Riding of Yorkshire who is also committed to this venture.

Anyhoo, apologies for the length of this post, but I am looking forward to being a part of this forum :mrgreen: .

Cheers

Tony
trs

Re: Would like to own/partner ...

Postby greyman » Wed May 22, 2013 9:47 am

Hello Tony and welcome to the forum. I'm from darhn sarf meself but we have people from all over who pop in and out over time. Hope you get lucky.

Greyman
greyman

Return to Introductions