Small Woodland Owners' Group

Researching to buy a woodland

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Researching to buy a woodland

Postby farmerdowling » Thu May 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a small woodland but I'm a complete novice and need advice!

We are planning on moving to Wales in a couple years so would it be worthwhile looking to rent some woodland in the Surrey (currently live here) area to get practice first? Is renting a possible option or could I volunteer somewhere? I'm handy with a chainsaw due to logging in my garden and I enjoy a hard days work outdoors but I assume that buying in Wales would be too far away to manage properly until we move.

I'm after any advice or guidance that you can throw my way!

Thank you
farmerdowling

Re: Researching to buy a woodland

Postby MartreCycle » Fri May 31, 2013 11:33 am

Hi-
taking your post "as is" - no mention of requirement to work etc or preference where in Wales

My advice- buy the Welsh woodland first - then find a property near your wood you can move to

good luck
MartreCycle

Postby Bearwood » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:31 am

Ditto. Woodland for sale is rare in comparison to property. Woodland to rent is even more scarce.
Bearwood

Postby farmerdowling » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 am

My other half grew up in Newcastle Emlyn, West Wales so that would be the ideal area. I will still need a job as well as weekends etc in the woods (if that is what you meant?) and this is why I was thinking of volunteering somewhere so that I could see the amount of work involved in properly looking after a wood.
farmerdowling

Postby splodger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:22 pm

where abouts in surrey are you? - would you be prepared to travel a little (to get experience working in a wood) ?
we are in hampshire - my dad is of poor health at mo - so we (i) could do with an extra pair of hands now and then - it's a small chestnut copse - so we can give you a few pointers re working with green wood etc - if that's your sort of thing.

pm if you want more info 8-)
splodger

Postby farmerdowling » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Happy happy happy! :D :D :D
farmerdowling

Postby splodger » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 pm

;)
splodger

Return to Introductions