Small Woodland Owners' Group

Felicitations from Pat and Sam

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Re: Felicitations from Pat and Sam

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Patandsam wrote:I think Sam will be safer with a Chainsaw than an Axe

They're different tools - each for their own job. Are you intent on felling trees or cutting up stuff that's on the ground? For firewood? A safer alternative to the chainsaw in untrained hands might be a (non-powered) bowsaw then. Any tool can be dangerous if used incorrectly but the risk of serious injury is probably less with a bowsaw.
SimonFisher

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:07 pm

I am quite amazed that because someone has said import are crap, you're not wanting to touch it with a barge pole, yet are quite willing to believe that tesco are selling their one, not for profit, but for the good of their customers

a husky can be as cheap as your tesco import, and from experience, yup its one I bought, they are great little chainsaw, will do probably all the stuff you'd need it for

http://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products ... aw-40-9cc/
Dexter's Shed

Re: chainsaw free with Tesco points

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Dexter's Shed wrote:a husky can be as cheap as your tesco import

... and a Stihl too, from the lower end of the size and performance range. However, as Tesco only stock the McCulloch, Pat and Sam can't get a Stihl or Husqvarna free with their Tesco points, and it seems that's more important to them. I assume they'll only be using the protective wear that Tesco stock as well.

You asked for our advice. Mine is to stay away from the McCulloch if you want a piece of equipment that will give many years of reliable service and is from a company with a well respected brand and reputation. Unless you're desperately needing to buy it this weekend, you might want to give it few days and see if anyone else chimes in.
SimonFisher

Postby splodger » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:59 pm

i can understand why you would want to avoid spending loads of money on a piece of kit that you are unfamiliar with - and by using vouchers you are sort of getting it for next to nothing - so i can see your logic.

if you run a successful b&b / guest house - i wouldn't mind betting you spent a fair few quid on kitting out the kitchen - so that's it's safe and effecient - and i'm sure you both fully understand how the ovens, fryers etc work and how to maintain them

on that note - i tend to agree with other posters - you could buy the top of the range chainsaw, but if you don't know how to use it and look after it - it could be more than a few hundred quid you lose.

the mccullochs are not going to be man enough for forestry work - but maybe ok for a bit of light work here is a link to a place that reviewed some saws. http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/outdoor-tools/4283685#slide-7

but i would recommend you get some sort of training before attempting to use a chainsaw if you haven't used one before - i'm a bit concerned that you think your other half would be in more danger if using an axe but think a cheap chainsaw would be perfectly ok

welcome to the forum - finding that you have 30 acres of woodland "attached" to your property - is a real bonus.
the woodland has been there for many many years, so don't be in too much of a hurry to get everything done all at once - learn to enjoy it and spend time discovering all that you have there. the beauty and tranquillity of a good woodland area is usually found in the ones that aren't messed about with too much ;)
splodger

Postby Patandsam » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:47 pm

We do appreciate advice if its well informed. It seems some of you might have jumped the gun a bit. We rang Tesco to ask about McCulloch and make sure they aren't some dodgy Chinese cheapy. Apparently they were American, but are now owned and entirely run by Husqvarna. !!! :o :o :roll:

Black and Decker bought McCulloch on October 4, 1974, and sold the company to a private group in November 1984.

In January 1999, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and sold its European division to Husqvarna AB. In October 1999, its North American operation was acquired by the Taiwanese company Jenn Feng Industrial Co., Ltd. Jenn Feng added electric power tools and pressure washers to the product line.

In March 2008, Husqvarna acquired Jenn Feng outdoor products division, gaining access to the McCulloch brand in the North American market. McCulloch is since a brand within the Husqvarna Group.

It seems if youve bought a branded Husky from a forestry place, you could have had something made by the same people for a fraction of the price from Tesco, OK? Hope you learnt something. LMAO.
Patandsam

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Patandsam wrote:It seems if youve bought a branded Husky from a forestry place, you could have had something made by the same people for a fraction of the price from Tesco, OK? Hope you learnt something. LMAO.

Well OK that's something I didn't know. However, you're not seriously suggesting that because McCulloch is a Husqvarna owned brand, that a McCulloch chainsaw and a Husqvarna chainsaw are the same units being sold under different names?
SimonFisher

Postby Patandsam » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:21 pm

I dont now if they are the same but for economies of scale they will maybe use some of the same parts. Husky won't want any of their group products to be disreputable so I'd guess they'll try to make McCulloch to high standards. maybe they are even made in the same factory.
Tesco said they have never had problems with them and they have a 12 month warranty.

The guy who mows our lawns has offered to show us the basics and recommend safety stuff. Sam is very safe with power tools having built a coup for the peacocks and half-built a wooden sailing dingy from scratch. (yet to be finished- I withdraw that statement of confidence if it sinks!).
Patandsam

Postby Stephen1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Patandsam wrote: I think if you saw them you'd realsie why we like them, they are one of the features most loved by the guests, we would never even think about eradicating them.

We all have different perspectives :roll: , but I would like to think if you knew a little bit more about the devastating consequences of rhododendrons on our native woodland you would "realise" why many here dislike them! Fortunately there is talk of the onus being put on the landowner to control the worst offender, rhododendron ponticum - from your description it sounds as though you have more than just this species however.

As for chainsaws I would suggest that McCulloch is a very reasonable brand - it isn't in the stihl/hussky class but would be a good choice for firewood and light woodland use. I would offer that it doesn't have a decent compensator - but that isn't really a problem if you keep the air filter v. clean. The power to weight ratio doesn't compete with the stihl or husskys - but again it doesn't sound as though you'll be using it for a full days work - and if you've got strong forearms, a good lower back and are careful about posture, then no big problems with the mcCulloch.

Stihl/Hussky are clearly the best (although Oregon are starting to compete), but for an occasional use saw there are a lot worse than Mcculloch.

Please read up about rhododendron ponticum - superficially pretty, but a really serious problem. Plenty on the net if you google it - I could suggest some links if you wanted, but wouldn't wish to foist anything too unwelcome upon you!
Stephen1

Postby Patandsam » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:35 pm

I can see we are going to have to be thick skinned on this forum. So far on our first post we've had our choice of apparently perfectly OK chainsaw slated, our inherited plants criticised as ruining the landscape, and even a poke at our spelling. If you were serving a long queue at a bar and typing with one hand, you'd make the odd typo too.

We'll bare with the forum as theres alot we want to learn, but can we not be talked down to like idiots please. We were both at the top of our professions, Sam as a deputy Governor of one of the UK's biggest prisons and I have a Phd and have been a magistrate too. We've turned a loss making bankrupt business round into very successful, we are not a B&B, we have up to 45 guests each happy to pay over £200 for a night, and we are fully booked. We'll make a great job of the wood too, given time, good advice and a bit of respect.

Some people are women, and better than men at most things, get over it.
Patandsam

Postby docsquid » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:35 pm

If you buy the bottom of the range Stihl, it is still a great saw. We have owned Stihl, Husky, Efco and McCullouch. Honestly there is a reason why the big names are big names. I have two Stihl chainsaws, including the Ms170 which is cheap (RRP around £170 but available much cheaper than that). It is the bottom of the range but honestly a good saw. Our chainsaw instructor uses them all the time and he has one that has been going for 20 years. I use it for small felling and shedding and carving.

I'd go with a top brand if you possibly can. But...do get training. It really isn't just ok to watch a few videos on YouTube. We had training over the years with our local tree surgeons, one of whom is also a chainsaw instructor, but this year took our qualifications as we want to help out other wildlife sites in our area, for which we need insurance. There are lots of ways to fell trees, and cut them up, and it really is essential to get somebody who really knows to show you how to use it safely.
docsquid

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions