Small Woodland Owners' Group

Hello From The Lake District and Truncator

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Hello From The Lake District and Truncator

Postby Truncator » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Hello
I'm steve and I work for Truncator sawhorse. We are based on a Farm in Little Langdale and have woodland all around that we use for testing our products but also have two working arborist companies dropping logs off and creating logs here on site. We have drying sheds and also outside dumpy bag systems to allow the wood to dry.
We have also been looking at kindling and bagging set ups.
Hoping to learn much more about small woodlands and coppicing. Had a great time down at the Bentley Wood Fair and this year want to go to more of the same so if you have any suggestions all gratefully recived!
Cheers
Truncator

Re: Hello From The Lake District and Truncator

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Welcome aboard Steve.

Presume you have a copy of Coppicing and Coppice crafts by Oaks and Mills, and Ben Laws 'Woodland Way' Book, both very informative and available on Amazon.

It occurs to me there is one simple observation about saw horses and logs. In order to load a horse with logs, the logs need to be straight. Most of mine seem curved or twisted so can't be stacked, so I tend to work along the branches on the ground. Log horses would be very good for conifers of course, but less useful for curiously shaped larger deciduous.

What trees are you mainly logging?
oldclaypaws

Postby Truncator » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Birch and oak is in the yard at the moment and bent ones too! You need a sawhorse that has a securing or holding facility. I've found that you just tie it in and cut it at the joint(s) and your on your way. No problem. Even Gnarly stuff drop it in and you're away. I've used loads as part of my job and here are a few that can handle bent stuff.
:D
Truncator

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:17 am

I remember watching that on the dragons den and thought what a good idea it was :)
Dexter's Shed

Postby Truncator » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Cheers! We were in there for an hour and Half! It felt horrendous straight afterwards but since being on TV it's been amazing. If you have an idea Get on the den! :D
Truncator

Return to Introductions