Small Woodland Owners' Group

Greetings from Wales

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Greetings from Wales

Postby nursejim » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:44 am

Hi folks, I'm Jim and I've just joined this forum. Greetings from Wales (Wrexham).

About me - I own a 15 acre woodland, bought from woodlands.co.uk about 13 years ago - when prices were very reasonable. I use the woodland for camping and basic wood management.

I look forward to sharing my experiences and learning from you guys - I'm quite the novice.

Many thanks and feel free to ask me questions etc.

Jim
nursejim

Re: Greetings from Wales

Postby SimonFisher » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:10 am

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum.

You say you've owned your wood for 13 years, yet still consider yourself a novice. You must have picked up a fair bit of knowledge in that time? What's the extent of the management you do?

Simon
SimonFisher

Postby nursejim » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:44 am

Hi Simon, thanks for the welcome.

After buying the woods I wanted to leave it well alone for a few years, to give me time to get to know the 'lay of the land' and I didn't want to rush into anything I would later regret. Then life kinda got in the way and I didn't do a great deal in the woods until about 2 years ago...hence my novice status lol.

Over the last 2 years I have thinned out a number of trees to bring light down to the main camp area. I have also dealt with the dreaded bracken(mainly using a sheen burner) and I have managed to get some good quality grass seen to take in the camp. I visit the woods most weekends and enjoy the peace and wildlife.
nursejim

Postby Rich » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:12 pm

nursejim wrote: I have also dealt with the dreaded bracken(mainly using a sheen burner)

Hi Jim,
Welcome to the forum.
Just wondering what kind of success you had burning the bracken? A lot of people have recommended rollering it or flattening it somehow to break the stems. What time of year do you burn it and how long does it take to regrow?

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby nursejim » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi Richard,

I have had very good results in keeping back the bracken with the weed burner. I began by burning the plants almost back to the ground which was quite time consuming and heavy on the paraffin, but the results were dramatic and for me long lasting.

Then I had an olde boy in the village where I live who told me that I could get the same results by passing the flame over the leaves and within a week or two the bracken begins to die back. As you pass the flame over the leave, you can actually see the leave change from being quite shiny - to - dull...you do not need to do anymore than this. I believe (what the olde boy told me) that the cells within the leave have now split and damaged. I have been using this method for the last year and the results look promising.

I tend to burn over winter and last weekend was my last - until the winter.

I then manage the areas with a petrol mower which keep everything in check and keep the grass lush.

As you probably know, lighting the sheen burners is the scary bit....but the results are truly awesome.
Hope this helps
Jim
nursejim

Postby nursejim » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Opps......regarding regrowth

I have found that the regrowth is slow and much easier to manage with the brush cutter or mower. As soon as I see the leaves popping up, I get the mower out and this seems to keep them in check. I think over time they become so weak that they are no longer able to compete with the grass? This is only my experience.
cheers
nursejim

Postby Rich » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:14 pm

That's interesting, I have a gas blow torch which sounds like it would do the job, I may give it a trial too. At the moment, I am rollering with my vehicle the accessable bits then slashing with a stick and trampling the rest. The novelty of this behaviour soon wares off, though useful if you've had a stressful morning trying to talk to utilitiy companies or couriers!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby nursejim » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:10 pm

I certainly would give burning a go Rich, just burn until you see the change in leave presentation as discussed. Please let me know how you get on.
Jim
nursejim

Postby Meadowcopse » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi,
I live in Chester, with a couple of plots between Chester and Wrexham.
I've been using a sheeps wool and bracken blend compost on my orchard trees - although I've been buying it in, rather than making my own...
http://www.dalefootcomposts.co.uk/our-products.aspx
Meadowcopse

Postby vushtrri » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi Jim...just up the road from you nr Chester though I have a place out Ruthin way..
vushtrri

Return to Introductions