Small Woodland Owners' Group

My own Woods - at last!

Say Hello and tell others about yourself and your wood.

Postby happybonzo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:12 pm

At last, I have my own woodlands; needless to say there are some problems

The first problem is that there are large quantities of Rhododendron, some of the branches are as thick as my thigh.

I am aware that the filthy things produce millions of seeds and that the ground underneath them is poisoned by the rotting leaves: All this will have to be scraped up and then what? I suppose make a huge heap and keep watching it.

The second problem is that there very large areas of brambles

I have been thinking of clearing areas within the Brambles, say 2m square, and then planting trees with deer protection and also black material on the ground to inhibit weed/bramble growth. I would hope that as the trees gre up that they would shade the area and then Bluebells and other plants that have been smothered would start to re-show?

The final problem is, of course, Deer but I sure that I will be able to sort that one.

happybonzo

Postby tracy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi Happybonzo and YEAH! Pleased to hear about your new woodland. I think you can get a grant to help with the removal of the rhody - ask your local FC person about it.

Are you getting any tree regeneration in the bramble parts? Like silver birch? you might find the shade can happen by itself which will be much easier!

in the meantime, sit back and enjoy it ;-)

tracy

Postby happybonzo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:41 am

There is no regeneration within the bramble areas except more brambles. We have been thinking along the lines of Silver Birch - do you have any recommendations for suppliers of Birch plants/saplings? I would want to be sure that they were from British stock and not either imported plants or from imported seed as I understand there have been a few problems using overseas stock.

Thanks for the "heads up" regarding possible grants from the FC. I'll ask them in the New Year.

Have a Great New Year

happybonzo

Postby Binz » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:09 pm

If there is heathland near you then you could get plenty of birch for free (if you dig/pull it yourself) and help manage the heath. Near us (Hampshire) the Wildlife trust and others have regular work groups removing birch saplings which are invasive to heathland. So if you are near heathland get in touch with the local wildlife trust.

For the bramble, invest in a brushcutter and keep at it.

Binz

Postby happybonzo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:02 am

Good idea for the "free" Birch saplings. A local landowner has told me to take as much as I want.

I am now thinking in terms of hacking pathways into the bramble patches with my Husky brush-cutter; clearing areas some 2 metres square and planting the saplings with black material around them to suppress the regrowth.

The saplings will also have plastic sleeves on them to help ward off beasts.

I'm hoping that as the Birch grows it will cut out the light and that will help to eliminate the brambles.

Does anyone think this might work?

happybonzo

Postby docsquid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 am

We had a problem with bramble in our woods when we took ownership 3 years ago. It honestly depends how much bramble you have got - in our wood which at the time was 11 acres, bramble was stifling regeneration and covered probably 2 or 3 of the 11 acres. At that sort of quantity, a brushcutter will be fighting a losing battle, and we eventually got a tractor with a rotary slasher on the back. This allowed us to cut paths through the bramble and mow it regularly - eventually the bramble got the message and was replaced by grass. Then into that we planted saplings that we had grown ourselves with tree spirals, as well as some areas of wildflower meadow. This has been mostly successful. I think a brushcutter would only work if you could cut repeatedly during at least a 2 year period.

We have managed ground vegetation by spraying, but that is because we have so many new trees (two hedges, two new areas of coppice, and now a new 9 acre wood) - for a few trees a mulch mat would be an alternative. However I would make it a heavyweight one for bramble - something like a bit of old carpet - rather than a lightweight one, or relying on natural mulch.

Regarding deer protection - if you have a lot of deer damage to your existing trees and regrowth, then you could consider putting deer fencing around the regeneration area, rather than relying on tree guards (which are more useful for rabbits/hares). We re-use old stock fencing that is being replaced around the perimeter of the wood. We use this for coppice stools as well, and it seems to have kept the deer out - the only problem we haven't been able to solve is voles as they get up inside the spiral guards and nibble away at the canes and saplings.

docsquid

Re: My own Woods - at last!

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:18 pm

I have heard of people fencing a limited area and putting a couple of pigs in. They root all the bramble shoots out and within a month all clear. Do in patches of 10 sq.
Chunkymunky

Postby Chunkymunky » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:15 am

You can get a small electric set up I imagine that's what they seem to use on the pig farms I pass.

And tasty bacon sarnies mmmmm
Chunkymunky

Postby Chunkymunky » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:48 am

Hmm possibly.
Chunkymunky

Return to Introductions