Small Woodland Owners' Group

We are considering buying some woodland and need lots of information.

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby seeking information » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi Everyone

We are considering buying some woodland in Scotland, with the hope of living there in a log cabin, which would be as self sufficient and eco friendly as possible. Well thats the idea. We have only just started looking into this and expect it will take approximately 2 years before we know enough to take the plunge.

I have no idea if this type of project is feasable, whether planing permission for a 1.5 storey log cabin with solar panels would be granted, I don't even know if it has ever been granted.

Where do I start to look to find this information? can I visit people who have already done what I would like to? what are the cost involved with maintaining woodland? What questions do we need to be asking?

Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Tracy

seeking information

Postby tracy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:28 pm

This sounds like a fabulous project, Tracy and most of us woodland owners would love to build in our woods - but as far as I know, planning laws are tough! Down here in England we struggle to get permission to put sheds in our woods!

Have you read Ben Laws book- 'The woodland Way'? It is a helpful book, as it out lines Bens struggles with planning permission as well as all the things he does in his woodland.

You could buy your woodland and enjoy learning about it and camping in it in the meantime, there is so much enjoyment to be had in learning about your wood and caring for it. And who knows, perhaps planning laws will change, or are different in Scotland?

I am sorry that this isn't much help. There is a thread on here about what to look for when you are buying a woodland - you might find some things in that too. Let us know how you get on in your search

Tracy (great name)

tracy

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:34 am

There is some information about some people who have done this in Scotland. I think it is in Ben Law'w book, the Woodland Way.

If you don't know much about woodland, it might be a good idea if you were to talk to people in SWOG, read Ben Law and Julian Evans books, A Wood of our Own, Badgers,Blisters and ?, and perhaps a few of the lighter forestry text books.

Scotland is very different from the south of England, and the woods are rather different, but this might be a start.

Chris W

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:50 am

Sorry, Julian's book is called Badgers, Beeches and Blisters.

Chris

Return to General