Small Woodland Owners' Group

June - What I have done in this month

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby MartreCycle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 am

An opportunity to list what you have done in the month of June in your woodland.

Next month I will do July etc...)-

Purpose:

To give a listing of small/large/interesting/menial etc 'things' that we do in woods.

Can be the same task as another month.

If items deserve more discussion - Please start a new thread - that way this thread should be easy to read and informative-

MartreCycle

Postby tracy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:26 am

I have 2 school visits happening this month, and one of the groups are going to 'Adopt a baby tree'. Where we have young regeneration, oak, birch etc, the kids will clear bracken and bramble from around the tree to give it more light and build a mini brash pile to protect it from rabbits.

We are also continuing to fill in and repair old rides so that they are safer and can be used in the winter.

and I must fill in my grant application form!

tracy

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:21 pm

Protecting regrowth (even though not nibbled yet), laying brash hedges where deer fencing is being removed, still making timber piles from felled 8 foot long large sweet chestnut, sitting listening to birds, watching the moon and sunrise. Nice visit from planning department regarding siting ( or should I say removal ) of caravan for use in our over winter felling, watching the wood evolve, taking photos and trying to identify insects, moths etc

Enjoy

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby tracy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:59 pm

Taking loads of photos of the new plants in our clearing, and of butterflies and birds. Super! Beginning to think about what we need to do for next winter...!

tracy

Postby cagsley » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:55 am

I fianlly installed our 2000 litre capacity rainwater filtration system to harvest and filter washing and washing up water. It collects off a shelter roof. Of course it has been spectacularly dry weather since so I may still have to trailer 500 litres up for summer.

cagsley

Postby MartreCycle » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:05 am

Thinning - Cutting down regeneration Birch

MartreCycle

Postby jillybean » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:08 pm

First big family and friends visit, bless em, all turned up in summer dresses and flip flops, went home covered im scratches! made prototype squirrel trap box, and lovingly baited it out. watched a woodpecker for hours. waiting for FC 5 year plan stops me doing anything con/destructive

just getting to know the wood really, its amazing what you can see if you sit still. Built a loo from a tarp and (object trouve) porta potty. Found 2 saw pits, a flint mine (allegedly ) and a bomb crater. and a dead owl (I think ) oh and a sheep skull.

jillybean

Return to General