Small Woodland Owners' Group

Grey Squirrels

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Rod Taylor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:08 pm

In the last week away from the wood the squirrels have started bark stripping again on numerous trees. Prior to this there has been minor damage around the base of some Hornbeams, but they have now started in earnest on Birch trees. The ground around the base of several trees is littered with bark and the trees are completely ring barked for several feet.

Last year the initial target was Oak trees then moving on to Hornbeam and Chestnut. I wonder if there is a yearly preference for the trees targeted as last year there was no damage noticed on any Birch trees. Not that they could start on Oak this year as having ring barking virtually all of them last year,they died and there are none left to chew.

Because of the damage last year I had been trapping at one end of the wood and caught several, however the current damage is at the other end of the wood. The next step is obviously to move the traps.

Has anyone else noticed the start of squirrel damage this year and if so I would be interested to know which trees are being targeted.

Rod Taylor

Postby James M » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:50 am

We dont really have any, so all I can offer you is sympathy rather than advice. But we do have deer killing our few broadleaves by fraying.

There is a large conifer forest up here in Northumberland which a land developer acquired, they were planning to clear fell and the local conservation groups got upset because it is a home for Red Squirels.

After some discussions they agreed to delay, but only by 5 years or so because even the experts agreed that the Reds would be totally gone by then, thanks to the Greys being so prolific and adaptable.

You certainly have a problem on your hands.

What do you do with the animals you succesfully trap?

James M

Postby John H » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:06 pm

I have not got one but these traps do away with the problem of dispatching with trapped squirels.

http://www.kania.net/

John H

Postby Richard_C » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:36 pm

My wood is mainly Beech with some Ash and a stand of Red Oak. Nearly all the Beech trees are showing some damage that has been caused by squirrels stripping the bark. Last year there was a lot of fresh damage which seemed to occur during mid May but then stopped. So far this year I haven't noticed any fresh damage and was hoping that the pests had changed their diet (a vain hope I think). The strange thing is that I very rarely see any squirrels in the wood, perhaps they keep a low profile when I'm around.

Those Kania traps look pretty effective. There are Fenn traps available in this country which can be mounted in a box in a similar fashion, have a look at http://www.greysquirrelcontrol.co.uk/fennspringertrapping.html

The problem with live traps is that you have to check them at least once a day and dispose of the squirrel or let the hedgehogs etc. out . Providing the Fenn traps are sited correctly they shouldn't catch any non target species. I haven't tried trapping yet but if the damage is starting again then I may have to.

Richard_C

Postby jillybean » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:07 pm

The squirrels have started on my Hornbeams. several trees on the west bank are damaged, authough they have obviously survived such attacks before.I hve been unable to check the beeches yet but will take a look tomorrow. Shooting them is hard work, they are so clever at avoiding humans and it takes 2 marksmen to get either side of the tree, authough I have had some success baiting out a bird table with peanuts and shooting from the cover of the car. I am going to get lofting poles and knock the Dreys down, and with a combination of traps hope to keep them from causing too much Damage.

My friend has shot on average 30 a year for the past 3 years from the comfort of his house, as it overlooks his 17 acre wood. Unfortunatly its a neverending battle. Has anyone tried poison ? is it wayfarin? that will do the trick i am told but it seems a bit drastic.

jillybean

Postby James M » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:20 pm

The problem with Wafarin, or similar is that if the beastie dies then whatever eats it will also be poisoned, and its non-selective.

People also eat squirels - your poisoned beast could leg it into next doors wood get shot and eaten.

What are you shooting them with? I assume an air rifle?

James M

Postby jillybean » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:23 pm

Yes, that is also my reason for not using rat poision or even slug pellets,the gun seems much greener. I have 2 airguns, a air arms 200 which is perfectly adequate, light and easy to use, and a Steyr 110 set up for field target which is slower to range in as it has a field target scope, but its super accurate, and gives a drop down dead pellet delivery which to me is pretty important, theres nothing worse than injuring an animal, however much of a pest it is. its only 12 ft lbs but can knock the eyebrow off a gnat at 55 yards. ( with a bit of practice!)

jillybean

Postby James M » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Steyr 100 - sexy! You'll better than me with my Lightening, a 20/28 bore would be my solution, save damaging the trees. No sport in that though, just problem solving.

James M

Postby John H » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:55 pm

55 yards, that's good shooting. I can't hit a barn door from 25 with my old air arms rifle, too many years using vibrating chainsaws does not help!!

John H

Postby Exeldama » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Warfarain is awful stuff, i have seen dying animals and it isnt nice in my view very inhumane. Shooting is spot on as long as you can get a shot and no missing.

Traps good to though again i have found squirrels dragging them through gardens where people have set them badly.

Difficult area as one hopes we all respect our wildlife and its not the squirrels fault , ...humans again.

Just wondeing for those of you in Wales.. do pine Martens take many out...?

All that siad and having handled a fair number of live ones...they do bite something rotten, and are devilishly wriggly.

The attempts do develop a synthetic contarceptive that sterilises them sounds the best long term solution, i think its the males they are targetting.

Exeldama

Next

Return to General