Small Woodland Owners' Group

Grey Squirrels

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Rod Taylor » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Been making the tunnels 600mm long 200mm high and the same 200mm wide across the top, which in the 12mm marine ply used made them around 180mm internal width. End sections were 20mm ply with tunnel shape cut-out. Also have some mk 6 traps for the rabbits that are eating the new coppice growth which the above box just fit over.

Not personally had any unwanted species trapped but will still persue jillybean's idea of a suspended the trap to lessen the risk. Peanuts and dried maize work for me as bait with a dab of peanut butter (as it has a much stronger smell to my human nose so hopefully attracts over a wider distance).

Caught 7 this year in the same area but bark stripping continues.

Rod Taylor

Postby jillybean » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks for the tips Rod. I have been thinking about a tree borne soloution to this tunnel building lark,the pipe I have laying about is too small. would the trap work in a bucket or a flower pot suspended from a branch? if it had some holes to drain rainwater, and something on the top like a bit of plank,I dont think birds would fall for that and drop inside but squirrels surely would. especially if you baited them with the traps unloaded for a few days.Or is that idea illegal? . Im going for the weekend and Im packing an arsenal of different squirrel bashing techniques -will report on any progress

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:43 am

Not a squirrel in sight, but plenty of damage done They have ring barked a small hornbeam, Ill be surprised if it survives. Giving up on the bucket idea, the tunnel is tried and tested and I have decided to adhere to tradition on this one. There was an article in the Mail on saturday about squirrels-not that I subscribe to the mail. bloke reckons he kills 1000 per week. makes us mere mortals wonder what we are doing wrong.

jillybean

Postby Rod Taylor » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Yes ours are still at it too. Noticed some Hornbeam with trunks completely stripped over about 10 feet, (a 1/3rd of the tree) yesterday. Busy little beasts aren't they, and at the moment clever enough to eat my bait and step around the traps.

Rod Taylor

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:08 am

Might be worth doing a combination of traps and air rifles and shotgunning the drays. I was going to put up traps last weekend, but I managed to put a nasty gash in my leg with a log splitter axe.

Darren

Postby jillybean » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:42 pm

OOW ring barked your own leg! did you need a tetanus?

jillybean

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:13 am

Needles are a fate worst than death. No sign of tetanus.....yet!

Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks for measurement rod. I'll will get around to making tunnels as soon as poss.

Darren

Postby Rod Taylor » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:54 pm

Had the 'inlaws' to the wood for a picnic at the weekend and "converted" the mother-in-law on the need to cull squirrels. She just could not believe the damage she witnessed to the trees, and the amount of bark they can strip in a short time. Still thinks they are cute and cuddly but now understands the need to keep the numbers down.

Anyone out there much better than me with a camera to record the damage caused to get some good PR on the need for culling ??. With the trees so close it is very dificult to get a good representative photo of how widespread the damage can be...... AND that's after the Fenn traps removing 15 sets of teeth so far this year.

Rod Taylor

Previous

Return to General