Small Woodland Owners' Group

Forest Resources

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby elliottlincoln » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:42 pm

I am an MBA student at Henley Business School and I am researching the development of Biomass industries and future demand for primary forest wood waste over the next 5 to 10 years. I am writing to ask for your help as an owner of forest land by completing a short questionnaire (online). The following link will take you straight to the questionnaire and I will post a summary of my results on the forum in the near future.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=2FQcQNcPLqJLWjeayrNlLQ_3d_3d

I very much appreciate your assistance and can assure you of the strictest confidence at all times.

I can be contacted by email at [email protected]

elliottlincoln

Postby tracy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Elliot

I filled in the questionaire - very quick to do - although I must admit I found some of the questions hard to understand - not speaking the lingo of marketing!

All the best with your research

Tracy

tracy

Postby elliottlincoln » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:48 am

Thanks for completing the questionnaire Tracy, I understand the questions are a little difficult and will try to cut back on some of the jargon.

I am researching the future of biomass industries and current trends suggest that demand for forest resources will increase significantly over the next 5 to 10 years. I would be happy if my research was useful to landowners who are interested in commercial opportunities and really appreciate all of the responses I have received from the group.

elliottlincoln

Postby wood troll » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi Elliot,

Just had a try at filling in your questionaire and sorry to say gave up!

I think the questions are not appropriate to small woodland owners as they do not produce the quantity of wood waste that requires understanding buyers and their markets.

Most small woodland owners probably do not want (or manage their woods) to provide access for large machinery and therefore could not extract large quantiites of waste wood products. The owners will tend to use these products themselves as they are of low value or leave them with the forest, perhaps burning them to return the nutrients to the wood.

Having seen the damage done by the industrialized forestry machinery that would provide these waste products I think you are aiming at the wrong producers. Small woodland owners tend to wish to look after their woodlands in a more environmentally sensitive way!

If the present trend in the subdivision of the forests of Britian is preventing the economical use of all the wood products and effectively loosing this potential biomass output I think you need to consider some different angles to your questions.

Hope this helps with what looks like a worthwhile project,

wood troll

wood troll

Return to General