Small Woodland Owners' Group

When is a wood a wood and a forest a forest?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby greyman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 am

Now, now Tracy - you know you shouldn't have been tempted......

See the link below to last years ruling on what constitutes a tree:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/news/archive/2009/feb/2009-02-Week-3/judgementgives

In his 12,000 paged judgement Mr Justice Cranston stated:

"There is no definition of a tree. I conclude that with TPOs there are no limitations in terms of size for what is to be treated as a tree. In other words, saplings are trees."

He then also adds:

"Moreover, a TPO for woodland extends to all trees in the woodland, even if not in existence at the time the order is made."

So unless this judgement has been appealed and subsequently thrown out there would now appear, in law, to be a definition of what a tree means - anything that actually exists now or that may grow in the future......er?

I'm sure there are learned people out there who can give one more information and this is only an extract from the large document coming from the case (he goes on to talk about what Lord Denning said a tree was) but it just goes to make Tracy's case - use of words changes over time and meanings evolve and change with circumstance and need.

Greyman

greyman

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 am

The Ashdown forest is predominately heath and heather, they are cutting down trees to stop them taking over.

Forest means hunting ground just like Ashdown was. People these days think it's something to do with woods.

Darren

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:53 am

ok, how many trees make a wood? ;)

Darren

Postby MartinD » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Tracy - would my WC grant include an allowance for latrines?

MartinD

Postby tracy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:00 pm

One might think we were getting off the topic ;-)

tracy

Postby Kentish Man » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm

How many trees make a wood - like it!

Well, I've just concluded reading the excellent BTCV Woodlands Handbook. At the end is a glossary of terms which defines "Forest" thus:

"Originally, a tract of heath, moor or woodland controlled by the Crown for the purpose of conserving deer and other wild animals, and subject to Forest Law. Now, used to describe a densely wooded area, normally a conifer plantation."

Interestingly for a book on woodlands, it omits to define "woodland" in the glossary!

So, how many trees, indeed, do make a wood?!!

Kentish Man

Postby tracy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:10 pm

Its a great book that BTCV woodlands book, isn't it?

Maybe MartinD would be able to find out more about WC grants in it ;-)

tracy

Postby Ambo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Jill, your just about bang on

A group of trees seen from a distance that you can see both sides of is a "wood"

A group of trees seen from a distance that stretches from horizon to horizon is a "forest"

To find out people how many trees are in a wood when it doesn't quite stretch as far as the eye can see.......

You just have to get in there and count them

Anybody want to know at what point a boat becomes a ship ??? ;)

Ambo

Postby Twybill » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:13 pm

This is one of those words whose meaning has changed over time. The Normans brought this word with them to describe legally defined areas of unenclosed land, with or without trees, as preserves over which the King had an exclusive right to hunt and subject to stringent forest laws. Until Forest Officers were appointed the area was known as a Chase and the rights of hunting could be conferred on subjects. Even nowadays none of us can own land for anything longer than 999 years before it reverts to the Crown; so don't get too settled on your patch. With 'Forestry' I tend to think of gloomy conifer plantations when I hear the word. I think woodland, copse, thicket, holt, etc are much friendlier words. Interesting subject though.

Twybill

Postby Darren » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:43 pm

So Roman woods is actually Roman forest?

Darren

PreviousNext

Return to General