Small Woodland Owners' Group

bride to be in need!

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby somersetbride » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Hello all, I've been given this site address & advised to join the forum by a lovely lady from woodlands.co.uk, I'm hoping I might resolve hours of internet trawling with this message, so here goes...

for the last 6 months I've been looking for a venue for my partner & I to have a simple wedding at. As much as beautiful manor houses & manicured grounds are, they just don't suit our family - the idea of being stuck in some of these venues all day & paying through the nose too, just doesn't appeal.

Our dream wedding would consist of a ceremony of sorts (I'm aware of the licensing issues-so would probably have a reg. office thing at some stage to make things legal) in some local woodland. We live in Yeovil, Somerset & I'm desperate to get hold of an owner who would be interested in hiring their woodland to us in (possibly) June of next year.

We are keen dog walkers & along with our two young children value & enjoy the great outdoors at every given opportunity - with regards to guests trampling through your woodland, we would encourage all of our guests to jump on the old fashioned double decker we will be hiring, so there will be minimal disturbance by tyres etc. Due to safety concerns with lots of small children we would only want to stay there with our guests for the afternoon - we have a farmhouse & garden locally that we could hire for the evening.

So there we have it, can anybody help?

somersetbride

Postby tracy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Oooh, I am a lovely lady ;-) I hope someone can help you! Come on guys??! Anyone able to help?

tracy

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:57 pm

going to be hard to find somewhere with enough parking spaces

Darren

Postby John H » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Sounds a great idea, what sort of radius are you looking in? Our woods are in Wales, I think Yeovil to Llandovery in a double decker bus could be a bit too far!!

I hope yopu find somewhere suitable.

John

John H

Postby wood troll » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi Somersetbride,

We would love to host the wedding in our lovely green valley but we are three hours drive south of Caen in France.

wood troll

wood troll

Postby jillybean » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Im in Kent. Any good to you ?

jillybean

Postby somersetbride » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks for responding guys, I'm looking for something within a 30 mile radius of Yeovil, Somerset.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-emea-uk-syn-gm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20maps

Maybe I should forget about getting married and buy myself some woodland, seems like much more fun than planning a wedding!

somersetbride

Postby John H » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:07 pm

I would suggest that you take a drive around or look on Google earth to identify a suitable wood and then go and knock on a few farmer's doors to see who owns it. I am sure they would be delighted to help you out.

John

John H

Postby MartreCycle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:49 pm

a bit of a theme - Westonbirt aboretum - near Tetbury, Gloucestershire

MartreCycle

Return to General