Small Woodland Owners' Group

Folly

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby John H » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Here is a picture of the folly I am building on the edge of our wood, it looks out across farmland.

I decided that I am a fair weather thatcher so the project is awaiting completion in the spring.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Dvs4B-2XW146uBdbgkDI7Q?feat=directlink

I went on one of Essex County Councels 2 day thatching course,difficult to learn in 2 days what it takes a proper thatcher to learn in 5 years. All good fun though !!

John H

Postby tracy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:12 pm

That's amazing! Well done!

tracy

Postby woodbodger » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:39 pm

I am impressed with that, I really shall have to start building things out of my wood I haven't made anything yet and I am a chair maker, retired.

woodbodger

Postby John H » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks, I really enjoyed making it. 50% of thatching is preparing the straw, this is hard backbreaking work. I cut the hazel for the spars out of our woodland and got quite competent at splitting them,however I just did not have the strength or knack to twist them in the shape of a staple. I ended up putting one end in a workmate and twisting the other with a pair of mole grips. It will be interesting to see how they get on on the Monty Don program next week, if they have 6 weeks to learn they should be able to do a pretty good job.

John H

Return to General