Small Woodland Owners' Group

Good TV show!

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Dennis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:06 pm

There's a course in March to make your own shave horse - details here:

http://www.woodlandskillscentre.co.uk/index.html

I'm booked on to it and will do a write-up if Tracy wishes. Chances are the shave horse will find its way to her wood in time.

Dennis

Postby tracy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:08 am

Love a write up Dennis! and we would love to use the shave horse too - would help us to actually use the pole lathe we made ;-)

tracy

Postby wood troll » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi All,

John was asking about plans for the construction of a shaving horse.... may I recommend Mike Abbott's book Green Woodwork. If you buy a book about the subject this is the one, as it covers all the basics in enough detail to get you started (and a good way along the road too).

There are details of how the construct a shaving horse, pole lathe, work break and chairs. There are also details on tools needed, types of wood suited to using green, steam bending, and various other subjects associated.

wood troll

wood troll

Postby RichardKing » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:13 pm

So, nobody sufficently inspired by the thatching to chuck in their day job & take it up ?

But strangely enough I was at university with a bloke who later did just that.

RichardKing

Postby John H » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:19 pm

I watched the thatching program and was very disappointed. The two pro thatchers seemed to be from the old school of thatchers, that if they saw someone watching them for more than a couple of minutes , they would come down off the roof so as not to give any secrets away. I don't think we saw them actually demonstrating any thatching.

Hopefully the next in the series will be more informative.

John H

Previous

Return to General