Small Woodland Owners' Group

Norwegian Wood

Food, firewood, timber, walking sticks, for sale...

Norwegian Wood

Postby calvertwood » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:23 pm

I came across this book, which is newly published in English, in my local bookshop: Norwegian Wood: Chopping, Stacking and Drying Wood the Scandinavian Way. That sounds un-promising, but all I can say is that the book is a delight. It's beautifully illustrated and thoughtfully written, and the early reviews on Amazon are glowing.

If Mrs Calvertwood can take a hint, that's my Christmas present taken care of. And I think I'll give a few copies to the friends who help out in my wood for the sheer pleasure of felling and logging.
calvertwood

Re: Norwegian Wood

Postby Treeation » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:35 am

Sounds like a good find. Just intrigued by what you meant when you said it sounded unpromising?
Treeation

Postby calvertwood » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Sorry to have been unclear. What I meant was that a book on wood-chopping and wood-stacking might sound as unpromising to most people as, say, a book on sock collecting. I hope you're not a sock collector... Obviously Swoggers are more discerning.

I've had a chance to browse through the book again in another bookshop, and first impressions are confirmed - it's brilliant. I can't recommend it enough for anyone who manages their wood for personal wood-fuel supply. "A how-to book with poetry at its heart," says one reviewer, and that's pretty much right.
calvertwood

Postby calvertwood » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:46 am

Ho, ho, ho! See this from today's Guardian: "Modern tribes: the wood lover".

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/28/modern-tribes-woodburner-bore-catherine-bennett

I had no idea I was so much 'on trend'. (But is the beard really compulsory?)
calvertwood

Postby The Barrowers » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:54 pm

There are some interesting trends mentioned below the article I fill some others B
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby boxerman » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:43 pm

Hmm. I'm saving hard to get my wood but my house doesn't even have a chimney never mind a fire so what does that make me?? :mrgreen:
Phil

https://twitter.com/boxermanphil for my Badger videos
boxerman

Return to Produce