Small Woodland Owners' Group

Lyme/Borreliosis in Humans

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby James M » Fri May 29, 2009 8:36 am

Hello All

This is a repost of some of some very useful information which appeared on one of the Deer forums a few days ago. The poster is a qualifed Vet (user name Morena) , with a specific interest in this subject. This information has been some weeks in the writing and is based on published research. I have edited it slightly to remove references to photographs which I am not able to reproduce here.

I understand from him that since he posted it, a member of that forum has contacted him and has the signs of chronic undiagnosed Lymes. This is very important information. Note in particular the difficulties GPs have in making a diagnosis, and the sometimes inadequate treatment.

I intend to keep a copy to show to my GP should I ever need to.

Article follows:

==================

At the request of a few site members to put information about Lyme/Borreliosis on the forum here goes. It is going to be in some detail so you can follow the development of the disease so you don't end up with a chronic infection.

Ticks have a 3 host cycle. This means that each stage of their life they must have a blood meal. If that host is carrying an infection it infects the tick for the rest of its life ( lateral transmission ) even going through the egg stage.(vertical transmission ) You can have all 3 different stages on the same host although the Larvae ( 6 legs ) and a lesser extent Nymphs ( 8 legs ) so called seed ticks as they are so small, feed on smaller animals. Adults ( 8 legs ) and Nymphs feed on larger animals and that includes you.After each meal they drop to the ground and develop to the next stage. Normally a 3 year cycle. In the life cycle you have a spring and autumn rise in tick activity although on the West Coast of Scotland they are active throughout the year. So you have spring cycling and autumn cycling ticks.

The bacteria causing the disease are

Borrelia burgdorferi ( Bb )...................Mainly arthritis

Borrelia garinnii ( Bg )........................Mainly nervous complaints

Borrelia afzelii (Ba )............................Mainly skin complaints

but there is considerable overlap.

This infection can be passed on from an infected tick biting you. Tick saliva is anaesthetic, anticoagulant and a recently discovered protein called Salp15 which at te time of the bite coats te bacteria as it passes inti your system. This enables it to evade the immune system until the infection is welll established and means there is a slow build up of antibodies. NOTE THIS.

In the tick the Borrelia are attached to the gut and the blood releases them and they move to the salivary glands. ( the tick moves from ground temperature to blood heat ) At the same time they ( bacteria ) change their coat ( OSP A to OSP C). This is the reason the tick has to be attached for more than 36 hours although some research suggests can be passed on sooner. Also throughout the infection the bacteria is changing its coat so that the immune system is playing catch up the whole time

[Photos: snip]

Clinical Signs and Symptoms.

All diagnoses start off by talking of Erythem Migrans ( EM ) This is a circle of redness radiating from the tick bite at a rate of 2/5 mm a day from 7-42 days afterward. This is non painful and isn't raised. This occurs in les than 30% of patients. If a tick bites you and there is an immediate swelling/redness which disappears in a day or 2 NORMAL bacterial infection. Not Lyme disease.

[Photos:snip]

Other symptoms are flu like ,stiff neck,swollen glands extreme fatigue, intermittent temperature , muscle and joint pains, eye dysfunction..

Consultation with GP. Now the ? fun starts. Don't have a clue as they do not have lectures on Zoonosis at University. Unfortunately the guidelines given by the HPA are those of the CDC American protocol and are useless for this country as they only have Bb. Take a blood sample for Laboratory diagnosis. This is too soon as immune system hasn't reacted yet. Negative..,.. NO LYME Disease .... WRONG.

May have given you a short course of antibiotics for rash depresses immune system as well. Negative WRONG

In some cases may give a positive result on first test go onto a second if you are lucky. This is called a Western Blot ( immunoblot ). The lab staff then interpret the bands as positive or negative.

Each lab has their own protocol and it seems hit or miss. They tried to formulate a European Standard for the labs but it was unsuccessful.

The Scottish Reference lab at Raigmore Hospital Inverness have grown 2 out of 3 local bacterial Bb, Ba types and are using a mixture for testing with improved results.

GPs must diagnose on clinical grounds with may be lab confirmation.

The guidelines also suggest a short course of antibiotics as sufficient. Unfortunately they should be high dosage and last a minimum of 3-4 weeks or until you respond. Anyone needing more info pm me.

morena

==========

:End of article

James M

Postby davetb » Sun May 31, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi,

Can you post a link to the original article?

I'm an anaesthetist ( yes we are doctors - honest ) and my wife is a GP.

As woodland owners ( with approx. 25 Fallow deer ), my wife is a bit of an 'elf & safety' type who gives all visitors a leaflet about Lyme disease.

Cheers,

Dave Howells

davetb

Postby James M » Sun May 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Hello Dave,

Happy to, but could you ask Tracy to email me with your email address?

Regards.

James M

Postby tracy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:36 am

Will do

T

tracy

Postby James M » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:16 am

Thanks, Tracy - I received it. Dave, email on it's way to you.

James M

Postby tracy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:49 am

Anyone have a great guide for removing ticks? What do we need to add to our first aid kits?

tracy

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:57 am

I've just brought a O'Toms tick remover. You just hook it and turn it around a couple of times, then the tick comes off easily.

Darren

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:00 am

A useful website http://www.bada-uk.org/

Darren

Postby James M » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 pm

That's what I have, there is a small/larval/nymph one and a big adult one in the pack.

I've never had to use it since I got it, but it looks the business and raises a bit of cash for a good cause.

Used to use tweezers, grab, twist 1/4 turn, and pull.

James M

Postby Exeldama » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:13 pm

You can pee on it but that might be difficult depending on where it is..... it works so i am told.

Perhaps easier vinegar or lemon juice... but personally i would go for vaseline.. (they suffocate and drop off but takes 10 mins or so).

Third thought is proprietry Dog medications like spot on.

Exeldama

Next

Return to General