Small Woodland Owners' Group

Small Woodland Owners Management Literature

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Dave177 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi to all,

Firstly I will introduce myself and then i'll get onto my question.

My name is David and I have always been around woodlands from a young age as my parents own 11 acres of broadleaf woodland in Kent. I am just starting my second year of studying for a foundation degree in forestry and woodland management.

Part of my course is producing a "final project" and I am looking into the resources available to small woodland owners in terms of literature for the management of woodlands and secondly the financial benefits and resources for managing woodland.

I am aware of the grant schemes available from the forestry commission but would like to know if anyone receives any other income from their woodlands either from grants or other income. ( If you would prefer to contact me directly on this this matter as opposed to posting on a public site that is fine.)

Secondly if anyone has read or seen any books that have really assisted them in managing or understanding their woodlands, then the titles would be great to assist in my research. ( These book should be aimed at the "typical" woodland owner as opposed to someone with a scientific or forestry background.)

Many thanks in advance

David Abbott

[email protected]

Dave177

Postby MartreCycle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:01 am

Some thoughts on point 2 -

Ken Broad's book - not 100% on the name - small woodland handbook - functional - good facts - covers a lot

Just read the FC Managing Broad leaved Woodlands - an excellent hand book - makes a point of the right tree in the right place - so covers the W1-W17 woodland types

I wish this book had been around when I started my woodland project - most of the mistakes I have made listed somewhere in the book

As technology is progressing - there is the ... internet- This may be more relavent today that ever before - and likely to be so ?

eg

ARbtalk forum /

this site- there were a couple of ebooks - v good

Coed Cymru web site

Summary - information overload - it is out there - somewhere - written down - its the collating of information that is relevant to the wood that is the challenging part.

MartreCycle

Postby Dave177 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 pm

many thanks,

my main aim is to try and see what information is available to people who are new to managing woodland, or want to undertake it as a hobby/ small business to cover costs of tools etc and how easy it is to come across. I have found over the years there is a lot of information scattered loosely around but it seems fairly hard to locate in one area or to find a definitive answer to any questions as lots of peoples opinions vary.

Dave177

Postby The Barrowers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:27 am

Hello

Used many items from internet and word of mouth

Collins Tree/Insect books etc and advice from this forum and woodland.co.uk

Also spoke to forestry commision

B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Bulworthy Project » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:03 pm

There are 2 books that we would reccomend:

Chris Starr, Woodland Management

Ben Law, Woodland Way

As for how to make money from your woodland:

We make charcoal and run charcoal courses. Charcoal production will not make you rich, but it can finance your woodland activities. It is a good way to use the small diameter wood and trees which are not the right shape for timber production. Small woodlands tend to have a lot of suitable wood.

We considered firewood, but you are competing with foresters who have firewood processors and other heavy equipment. This allows them to process vast amounts of wood very fast. Even though they have to pay off the credit on their machinery, the economy of scale is hard to compete with.

If you would like to learn more about charcoal production, our website is:

www.bulworthyproject.org.uk

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby Bulworthy Project » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:04 pm

There are 2 books that we would reccomend:

Chris Starr, Woodland Management

Ben Law, Woodland Way

As for how to make money from your woodland:

We make charcoal and run charcoal courses. Charcoal production will not make you rich, but it can finance your woodland activities. It is a good way to use the small diameter wood and trees which are not the right shape for timber production. Small woodlands tend to have a lot of suitable wood.

We considered firewood, but you are competing with foresters who have firewood processors and other heavy equipment. This allows them to process vast amounts of wood very fast. Even though they have to pay off the credit on their machinery, the economy of scale is hard to compete with.

If you would like to learn more about charcoal production, our website is:

www.bulworthyproject.org.uk

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby tracy » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:49 am

and this one is very good!

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/practical-guides/managing-your-woodland-for-wildlife/

tracy

Return to General