Small Woodland Owners' Group

An Unusual Request

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby fieldshooter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:39 am

This is a very unusual request, but I wonder if anyone may be able to help.

I am a field archer and part of a small group of field archers in Eastbourne. We will, unfortunately, be loosing our woods that we shoot in on a regular basis as the owner is going to be selling and retiring.

We need woodland to shoot in on a regular basis ideally weekly (that would be heaven) but would consider any offers anyone may be kind enough to make.

The archery we do is a form of target shooting, but much more challenging than target archery (Olympic style). All of the small group have a world ranking and we also have the current No 1, 2 & 5 in the traditional discipline. We love rugged ground and use this to full effect, we are also very conservation conscious so ensure that the woods we use are maintained and are kept clean and tidy. We do not shoot animals and we are part of the winter field archery league, most of us also travel around the country on a regular basis to compete in competitions to gain experience, meet with other archers, and gain our points for the world ranking tables.

Do you know of anyone in the East Sussex area who may consider letting a group of archers set up targets in their wood and shoot on a regular basis. We are also very Health and Safety conscious and put up signs when we are shooting. All archers are members of GNAS (Grand National Archery Society) who regulate the sport.

If we do find somewhere to shoot many of the current England field squad would possibly wish to shoot there with us as a new ground offers a new challenge.

If you would like some photos of what we do I can send some to you.

If you would like to contact me for further information you can email me at, [email protected] or ring me on my mobile on 07760 487732.

Many thanks for reading this.

fieldshooter

Postby Steve Medlock » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:28 am

I have a small wood, 13 acres, on the far side of Battle (from you) which a small number of us use for field archery. We don't have many targets out at present mainly due to lack of spare time, but would like to make a better course and have butts waiting to be placed. If you're interested, perhaps we could meet up one weekend, walk round, shoot some arrows and have a chat?

Steve

Steve Medlock

Postby fieldshooter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:37 am

Hile to advise and possibly Steve,

Sorry for the delay but the summer season has been in full swing and when not working I have been attending as many field shoot competitions as possible. I would love to have a chat, but I am really just trying to gain information. Adam Stevens is the chap who knows the most about field archery and for the last two years set up the Kingsbury Open Field Shoot. He is an excellent course setter and would be able to advise and look to see if this is what we are looking for.

You can contact me via my email directly: [email protected] or via my mobile 07760487732. The winter field league starts on 23rd October with the first shoot at Friarsgate near Fletching, if you are a gnas member why not come along, failing that on the 6th November the Eastbourne shoot takes place at Five Ashes, the woods we will be loosing, again you would be welcome and would meet Adam and the small group I was referring to.

Thanks for responding.

Best wishes

Dave

fieldshooter

Return to General