Small Woodland Owners' Group

Vermin Control

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Sussexboy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:00 pm

I would add that having seen Daniel's reply about the fox being taken care of by some one else with the correct equipment I have no further doubts about his equipment or training. In fact his reply shows that this situation has been thought about and the appropriate solution applied. This shows the correct approach and sense of responsibility.

Sussexboy

Postby Henrietta » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:07 pm

I suspect Daniel's reply about the fox, " being taken care of " by someone else was an after thought. There will be no meeting of the ways here as our thoughts on these matters are worlds apart. There is an obvious interest in guns, and a total understanding that there is a right to take the life of any creature that you wish. There will always be a valid reason for doing so, in your minds, also a wish to connect and compete with other like minded people.

The argument that killing an animal because there are too many of them is fatuous, a personal opinion arrived at by the popular opinion of certain groups of people. The one species which has too many in number is us, but it would be proposterous to suggest a cull, wouldn't it?

I do not wish to annoy anyone by saying this, but purely to point out that we don't all believe the same things. For myself, I feel very sad that mankind cannot live on this earth without taking the vast majority of it for his own use and interfering in the lives of just about every other species to their detriment, whether that is in destroying their environment, polluting the land and sea, or just making life so difficult for so many animals.

Henrietta

Postby daniel070883 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:15 am

Sorry but to be Frank Henrietta you are being annoying.

Youve provided no help to this post at all.

If you dont like what we do then dont read about it and also we dont all want to hear about your save the world views.

Youve just come on here and made accusations and preached your views.

We provide Farmers and Land Owners with a service which in some cases can save their livelyhoods.

Hows that not "saving the people" ???

daniel070883

Postby splodger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:52 am

i have to agree with you daniel - vermin control is essential in some environments and i am sure that the service you offer is beneficial to many landowners in your area (shame you don't venture into Hampshire)

splodger

Postby coppiceer » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:27 am

Control of species that are threatening the life and health of other animals, let alone peoples' livelihoods and property, is essential in all environments. It's only because so many people live lives completely removed from "nature" that views such as those expressed by Henrietta are so common.

coppiceer

Postby Henrietta » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:35 am

Daniel, I think you are missing the point here. Firstly you say that I am providing no help to this post. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that I have not been helpful in assisting you in achieving your aims, notably to use other peoples woodland to kill animals. The vast consensus of opinion lies with you anyway, so is irrelevant.

You don't want to hear my "save the world" views, fine but I don't want to hear your "save the livelihoods" views either, not that that is uppermost in your mind. This site was originally set up for woodland owners and those with an interest in woodlands, and as far as I know, we are all free to have our say.

I have been a member for some time now and I read the posts whether I agree with them or not. We don't all agree on the same things but if we can't discuss differences of opinion, there is little point.

Incidentally, I didn't say anything about saving the people or even the world. I am disappointed that my post annoyed you, as I had hoped it might encourage you to look at things from more than one angle, but so be it.

Henrietta

Postby Henrietta » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:02 pm

.... or is it Copiceer, because I have always lived close to nature that I see it is not so black and white. I think we all agree that the imballance of nature is largely due to our interference, namely grey squirrel and rabbit introduction, also hunting predators to extinction, which is still happening in Scotland with gamekeepers killing eagles and other birds of prey in order to protect game birds and " livelihoods". It is an impossible situation as nature imposes on our own goals and ambitions.

If you want to go and hunt for your food, fine, we do it all the time. We often eat rabbits from our woods, and occasionally deer. I also buy game from our local estate. My husband like many of you, has guns and an interest in target shooting, but he would never kill an animal as some sort of hobby.

When a species of animal gets too large in numbers, which happens naturally in nature and always has, the Hawks and Doves principle applies. A good example of this is Magpies taking smaller birds eggs. They have always done this but have never wiped out the smaller birds because as the Magpie population grows with the abundance of food, the small bird population decreases, providing less food. The Maypie population cannot sustain itself and decreases, allowing the small birds to increase in numbers again. That is how it has been for thousands of years, but when you see the Magpies raiding, the instinct is to shoot them.

Henrietta

Postby Hobby » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Written without prejudice.

As far as I see it, animals are not nasty or vindictive, they are just looking to survive.

Jays raid and kill cute little blue tit chicks, I don't like it but it's not for me to judge or play god, the Jay doesn't deserve death just by trying to survive, no doubt Jay chicks are very cute too !!.

YNWA.

Hobby

Postby daniel070883 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:05 pm

@splodger

Where abouts in Hampshire are you talking ?

daniel070883

Postby splodger » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:20 pm

@daniel - hants/wilts border (near romsey)

splodger

PreviousNext

Return to General