Small Woodland Owners' Group

Making a living from Woodland..

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby RichardKing » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Some very good advice above.

Lots of tasks are great as a hobby, but become tiresome if its a full time job.

I can choose what day I go & cut wood, but then its only part time.

Firewood is low value (I get £70- for 1.2 cubic metres) but then most woodland activities will produce some wood that is good for nothing else. In any case firewood is cash on delivery & the demand seems endless over winter.

As said above, it can be better to make added value products. But dont forget the time taken out by marketing/selling & chasing customers for payment. Also the investment in equipment/tools designing, training etc. I made a few batches of footstools, Oak, with cleft Ash legs, but the return was probably less than the minimum wage. The only way to make them commercialy would be to tool up for mass production, but I am simply not interested in that.

RichardKing

Postby bagnally » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I believe anything is possible if you want it enough. I would never have dreamed that my husband and I would be woodland owners but I imagined it nearly every day even doing a mantra to myself and just did what ever actions were necessary to get there such as researching on forums and just simply learning as much as possible about the way of life. Of course the biggest thing was selling our house. I don't recommend that to everyone but you have to be committed and I suppose we are.

I know we will make an income from our woodland all be it a small one. All we want is enough to put food in our bellies and diesel in the van anything else is a bonus as it's the way of life that is more important to us.

Once we are sorted in our wood, clearing rather large reeds and masses of brambles we will be happy to have SWOG members visit us and see how we are using our land.

We are not living on it as it's not allowed but we plan to live as close as we can to it and we will.....why..... because we believe in ourselves and know it's going to happen. ;-)

Good luck earlybay, because you want it bad enough it will happen just do something everyday towards it even if it's reading a book or simply being on here with us guys. :-) x

bagnally

Postby Hobby » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:16 pm

RESPECT !!!

Hobby

Postby earlybay » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks all who have responded -lots to think about-it's great to have a forum like this to share with like-minded people-the journey begins!

earlybay

Previous

Return to General