Small Woodland Owners' Group

Mountain Biking

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Tom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Good evening all - I'm new to the forum and am in seek of some help or answers to my questions... hopefully I've not put people off with the title of the post (I appreciate that biking isn't to everyones liking!)

I am an avid biker and have been involved in quite a few clubs that have been setup by or in conjunction with local councils; Im based in Milton Keynes and one that may well be known is the bike park in Woburn sands. I have reached a point where I am, quite frankly, bored of having to tidy up after what feels like a large portion of the people that take part in the sport - litter and bad practices do quite well to tarnish the image of the sport and I dislike being tarred with the same brush!

What I am seeking is a small portion of woodland that I could rent and use to build some obstacles in to ride. I won't profess to have no impact on the land, but it will be treated well and there will be no mess or litter - like every other user on this forum I adore the peace and quiet of the country and the escape from the world, I just do something a bit different to enjoy that time away. The land would not be opened up to every man and his bike either, it would be a very private affair and there would be no commercial pursuit or setup.

I guess I am asking a few questions here:

- does anyone have woodland that they would be interested in renting in this area - a few acres would more than suffice and it would be on an annual and ongoing basis

- what issues or concerns would any woodland owners have to this kind of proposition; I'd like to know where I've gone wrong so far as the few farmers I've approached have said no (in a polite manner to be fair)

- any other suggestions as I've tried going to see people to no avail so far

Finally I'd just like to apologise to anyone who doesn't approve or isn't a fan of what I'm asking for - I hope I've not offended anyone and any help will be gratefully received. I look forward to any responses.

Tom

Postby MartreCycle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Tom,

My, somewhat glim answer, would be to move to Wales and make a lifestyle change,

Some of the best made-up MTB courses ( in the world ?) are here.

Forestry Commission land is open to the public ( excpet where safety is an issue ) -

and bridleways abound.

Trains will get you easily into South Wales ...

MartreCycle

Postby Tom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:05 pm

That is an answer that has already crossed my mind!

Tom

Postby tracy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi Tom

Sounds fun! Another thing owners might want to know about is insurance issues.... what happens if you get injured...

best wishes with it

Tracy

tracy

Postby hope100 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:32 pm

I have a 13 acre wood I'm looking to rent out. Is Staffordshire too far?

hope100

Postby Binz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 am

hope100, you could try a mountain biking forum like http://www.mtbe.co.uk/ or local bike clubs. They will probably want to build trails to ride like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uslwIp48Bw

But dunno if you'd actually get much rent

Binz

Postby MikeMiller » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 am

Hi, my name is Mike and I came to this website to ask exactly the same question as Tom above... I am a professional BMX rider from the Basingstoke/Reading area (North Hampshire) and I am also looking for a piece of woodland or a copse where i can gain permission to build some jumps to practice on. If anyone around the area has anything or knows someone who may be interested in letting me use some land. Please let me know. I have been constantly searching over the past year or two for something that will not either get ruined but other users or even non-users. Or be destroyed but the land owners. I am willing to rent too, providing it is affordable.

Thankyou

Mike

MikeMiller

Return to General