Small Woodland Owners' Group

wildlife deficient

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Stephen1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:32 pm

Did I just blog again ;-)

Stephen1

Postby docsquid » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Stephen, I'd love to post the OP and your responses in the Newsletter that I'm finalising over the last couple of days, as it is a great summary of current thinking and really helpful. Can you let me know if you are happy about this (full credit will be given!) on [email protected]

docsquid

Postby RichardKing » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Is overstood Sweet Chestnut coppice really such a bad starting point for "old growth structure"?

Lots of fallen & standing deadwood creating semi open areas rapidly being colonised by Birch & Sycamore as pioneer species. I would have thought that it could well be on the right road.

Mind you the FC want the Sycamore (being "non native"?) eradicated, felled, poisoned & sprayed.

RichardKing

Postby Exeldama » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:23 pm

I would say yes to diversity. My bit alone has a pond a wet bit, scattering of big oaks, chestnut about 15 years old , birch, scots pine , spruce... etc etc..a hill a not hill, several clarings..several rides.... yes bracken. (hate it).The wood as a whole ie the bigger bit is a hotch potch of stands of conifers regnerating clear fell and coppice.. along with some big old trees... a valley , streams... varied, but its still just to quiet..not silent just not very active..wholly unscientific....plenty of deer, plenty of squirrels, a few rabbits, owls (so must be little things to) , badgers..its just the birds and the insects... hmmmm im going t create a couple of big clearings.....

Exeldama

Postby Henrietta » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Although Sycamore isn't native, there are a few others that aren't as well. I have Sweet chestnut, some Corsican pine, Larch, a Douglas fir and a couple of Sitka spruce. In fact the only natives in the wood are Silver Birch and Scots Pine.

I know that Sycamore casts a lot of shade as well as seeding profusely, but is very good for making bowls, being food friendly.

Henrietta

Postby RichardKing » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:50 am

I mentioned Sycamore as "not native" because although originating from further south in mainland Europe & planted here hundreds of years ago some people now consider that it should be regarded as "native".

The reason being that on the continent it has naturally expanded its range northwards so that it has reached the same lattitude as England. If it was not for the Channel it would have reached here by now anyway, or perhaps some seeds do come across in storms ? Perhaps we should think of it as part of the re-populating our flora that was wiped out by the ice ages, maybe this should include the Larch! Not to forget also that it is claimed that aphids on Sycamore are extremely important for the survival of the Dormouse.

RichardKing

Postby Sussexboy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:01 am

Henrietta - (sorry for a slight hijack of the thread) do you turn the bowls or carve them? I have found that sycamore distorts very easily depending upon age and humidity.

Sussexboy

Postby Henrietta » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:41 pm

Sussexboy - afraid not, I just buy them. I always look for ones that are suitable for food.

Henrietta

Postby Twybill » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Stephen1 has an interesting point of view and I agree with his emphasis on dead and rotting wood. However, contrary to accepted practise, it seems that dead wood is best stacked in the open rather than the shade, as most organisms prefer this.

I know Frans Vera's hypothesis is under criticism but no-one has satisfactorily explained what the former large groups of herbivores would have eaten if most woodlands were in deep shade.

Everyone seems to be planting woodlands but very few are planting (or managing) trees!

Twybill

Previous

Return to General