Small Woodland Owners' Group

chainsaws

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby adam » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 pm

I gave my new 455E Rancher a good work out over the weekend. I have a 20 inch bar on it and was pleased that it had more than enough power for that and with the adjustable oil pump was able to keep the bar nicely oiled too :-) It starts and runs easily and you can work for quite a while on a single fill of fuel and oil.

I was only cutting Sycamore and and although they were big, I guess Sycamore is not the hardest wood to cut through but so far I'm happy. For the smaller stuff, its not surprising that that I prefer my little Stihl MS 180 with a 14inch bar since it is much lighter and just more appropriate but its sure nice to have the option of something a little bigger and more poweful.

Adam.

adam

Postby Rod Taylor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:14 am

Also have a 14" Stihl MS180 and disappointed with its ability to oil when used on its side. Oil pick-up filter is too light/pipe too stiff, so only works if tank above 1/2 full as it dosn't move in the tank.

Will be fitting weights to filter to hopefully cure this before coppicing later this year as otherwise a very handy saw for the smaller section trunks.

Rod Taylor

Postby Catweazle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Rod,

Radio controlled planes use a similar arrangement for fuel, called a "Clunk Tank" for obvious reasons. The pipe is flexible silicone rubber, resistant to fuel and oil, with a weight sufficient to work at all angles.

Perhaps this would help.

Catweazle

Postby Exeldama » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Just trying to remeber...been a long day.. mine is an xp.... no probs at all.

Exeldama

Previous

Return to General