Small Woodland Owners' Group

How well does Hornbeam withstand rot

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:52 pm

I have a number of 12 year old hornbeam trees which which need to be cut down and removed from a young mixed woodland. I was hoping to use them for pergolas around the garden. Is hornheam wood good at withstanding wet conditions or does it rot easily?

Mike

Postby jillybean » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Use it Mike, its one of the hardest woods in the country, and for something like a garden structure you will have no problem for years, especially if you char or dip the ends that will be subterranean in tar or preservative

jillybean

Postby greyman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Mike I've been Googling away and apart from lofty tomes from scientists the link below seems to be a reasonable amount of information.

http://www.musterkiste.com/en/holz/pro/1027_Hornbeam.html

Greyman

greyman

Postby Emma S » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:13 pm

we are thinking about treating it and using it to make the exterior bits of the platforms for our yurts (supporting ouside kitchen roof, handrails, etc) as it has an interesting shape. we will probably be sticking to chestnut for the actual 'structural' stuff.

that link is interesting, saying that it is durable under water - wonder if it would be good for making walkways accross a wetland or in a very wet wood?

Emma S

Postby Stephen1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Mike

Hornbeam isn't a very durable wood. Being durable under water is very different from being durable when merely damp - for reasons mostly to do with the level of available oxygen.

Unfortunatley hornbeam doesn't take preservatives very well either - due its density and the nature of its porousity.

Where the posts of your structure go into the ground you might find these work very well for you;

http://www.postsaver.co.uk/

I use them and am very impressed and find them very worthwhile. I guess you could just use a blow torch for a few?

Stephen1

Postby Sussexboy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:46 pm

When I used to help with fencing on a farm in my youth, we always used split chestnut spiles for the fence posts and charred them in a fire where they would be going in the ground.

Sussexboy

Return to General