Small Woodland Owners' Group

Tree Felling - Tongue in Cheek!

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby ncrawshaw » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Having returned from a day in the woods, I was browsing the internet and looking at videos of how I was supposed to be felling my trees. They reminded me a bit of the idealised diagrams in forestry books and chainsaw instruction books! The subject tree is normally perpendicularly located on level ground with sufficient space around for it to be felled into; also the weather is fine and the personnel are clean! My woods, on the other hand, are on a slope; virtually none of the trees are vertical, most of them being well overgrown coppice stems growing out at all angles except 90 degrees. There's very little space for them to be felled into. Despite my best efforts, make the cut slightly wrong and its hung up.........again.........and its wet and I'm muddy having tripped in the brambles that weren't in the video!!

ncrawshaw

Postby tracy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:14 am

Ah , yes, it's like watching the videos that show us how to teach. A small group of perfectly behaved children and the rest of the class silent and working... not exactly real life!

Perhaps you should make a video of the REAL tree felling? lol

tracy

Postby hornbeam_mad » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Brilliant! I thought it was just me who couldn't bring every tree straight down and whose method didn't match the perfect pictures in the books and interweb.

Ive spent a few days in my parents wood felling awkward stems on 50+ year old hornbeam coppice stools. My parents, armed with loppers and handsaws ready to process, seem to spend most of the day watching me walk round trying find a gap big enough to pull a big lump of angry tree down to the ground. I cant tell if I'm getting better at it if there is just more space now.

hornbeam_mad

Postby rogerspianocat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 pm

I did my CS31 in a very tidy poplar plantation and the instructor wanted to show us how to deal with hung-up trees, but we had a very hard time getting one to hang. I managed it in the end, but by the time he'd got the winch out of his car and set up, it had fallen down anyway. So he showed us how to use a winch to drag a log along the (very flat) ground. Back at my wood, it's a different story of course - they mostly want to hang, the ground's uneven and I have no winch.

rogerspianocat

Postby tracy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Here is a video that Mike made on what can go wrong! Not very dramatic but still makes a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMAZJF6dNwk&feature=related

tracy

Return to General