Small Woodland Owners' Group

Muddy Track

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Postby Max » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 am

Hi, I would be grateful for any advice from those of you who have, or have had, a similar problem and have managed to come up with a solution. Basically we have a track around the periphery of our wood which in most parts is peat based and need to drive along this in order to access our shed. At present,in parts,this track is fairly deeply rutted and muddy. I would like to firm this up and am considering such options as laying down a geotextile membrane then filling in with either crushed limestone, rubble or crushed concrete. In total I estimate there is about 75 metres that needs doing. Have tried woodchips but have just ended up with a thick porridge.

Thanks, Max

Max

Postby Rich » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi Max,

I think this is most people's experience of putting wood chip down, it can exacerbate the situation. I have used brash cut up with a chainsaw, which is slower to decompose and can be drivable for 2 or 3 seasons, but eventually that will break down and add to the gloop!

Probably your best bet is what you've already suggested.

Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Max » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks Rich, the brash idea sounds like a good temporary fix as there is a lot of pine brash next to the track.

Max

Max

Postby tracy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:05 pm

We use silver birch brash which binds the soil pretty well. Be careful that you don't fall into trouble over planning laws. Bizarrely you are not allowed to make new tracks or bring in materials from off the site. That said, I am sure some people do, and using 'clean' hardcore buried won't do any harm! You could also apply for a FC grant to help pay for a proper upgrade...

tracy

Postby Max » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks Tracy, will have a look at the FC grants.

Max

Max

Postby bat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Hello, I looked into the very helpful articles on the web about upgrades and although you can apply to do this as a 'permitted development' which, IIR costs about £80 locally, the planning office says to discuss with them the scale of any proposed work before applying, presumably because filling in a few rutts in an existing track wouldn't require their consideration... or at least they didn't bother to reply when I asked them twice so I just went ahead. I can explain everything m'lud. Cheers for now.

bat

Postby Max » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks bat, forgive my ignorance but what is IIR?

Max

Postby bat » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Sorry, 'if I recall'. I checked again and its £70.

bat

Postby Max » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks bat

Max

Postby Toby Allen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:43 pm

Buy a tractor?

Be a bit cheaper than laying a road and not as permanent. Throw logs into any ruts then cover with brash mats.

Stone roads can cause a barrier to a fair few bits of wildlife, insects and mushrooms. So it's worthwhile having a think about what you want from the wood before putting one in. If your plan is to pull out lots of timber or set up a camp site then it's probably worth it. If you want a nature reserve maybe not.

Toby Allen

Next

Return to General