Small Woodland Owners' Group

Mosquitoes

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Mosquitoes

Postby Emma S » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:44 pm

How to get rid of the buggers?
we have a moat (I suspect therein lies the problem) and a small pond which dries out in summer.

I am past the repellant stage and moving towards anihilation. BUT father in law has a pheasant run which encloses the moat, so any chemicals need to be bird friendly.

The moat has no fish, and as its a scheduled monument we would probably not be allowed to put fish in. Besides its a bit dodgy looking so might well kill them anyway. It was overgrown and we took all bankside trees away last year, so there is no new leaf fall into the moat, and its got sunlight (well, not at the moment.....)

so, what do I use? Fumigation/gas/pellets something in the water???? any deterant on the platforms of the campsite yurts/domes in the wood??

any advice would be fantastic
Emma S

Re: Mosquitoes

Postby Hobby » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:17 pm

I feel your pain, the mosquitoes within our woodland make entering the area after 6pm something of a challenge.
If ever I'm there during a summer evening I can be sure of returning home with at least a couple of golf ball sized lumps for company.....
Hobby

Postby Emma S » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:46 pm

I have found something called mosquito dunks which looks like they may be the answer. non toxic to plants, fish, birds and humans, they are a microbial agent which kills the larvae, so now I just need to work out how big an area of water I need to treat. every 3 weeks. plus mosquito coils. and spray.....
Emma S

Postby happybonzo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:28 am

As a repellant, Avon Skin So Soft-Woodland Glade is the stuff to use. It even works for Norwegian mozzies and those things carry babies, elk and lost trekkers.

For dealing with an expanse of still water; could you use some form of biodegradble oil? The larvae hang off the surface film of the water but cannot manage it with oil.
happybonzo

Postby Emma S » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:36 am

happybonzo wrote:As a repellant, Avon Skin So Soft-Woodland Glade is the stuff to use. It even works for Norwegian mozzies and those things carry babies, elk and lost trekkers.

For dealing with an expanse of still water; could you use some form of biodegradble oil? The larvae hang off the surface film of the water but cannot manage it with oil.

thats not a bad idea.
my father in law suggested diesel :o :roll:
Emma S

Return to General