Small Woodland Owners' Group

Best way to stack/store logs in woodland

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Best way to stack/store logs in woodland

Postby Cassie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi advice please on the best way to stack/store logs in a woodland we have brought quite a lot through to the back garden storing them off the ground on a scaffolding type structure covered on top by tarpaulin they are drying out nicely, but we now need to find the best way to store them in the woods, keeping them off the ground so that air can circulate, suggestions please
Thank you
Cassie
Cassie

Re: Best way to stack/store logs in woodland

Postby Bulworthy Project » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:03 am

You can usually pick up pallets for free if you ask at industrial units etc... They are great for keeping logs off the ground.
Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working.
http://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk/events.html
Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy
Bulworthy Project

Postby SimonFisher » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 am

Are you talking logs that are cut to size ready for burning or longer lengths?

I tend to process to final size straight away whenever I can, cutting to length and splitting. I then pile these roughly (more air gaps) into crates that I build using pallets, posts and planks that I have a ready supply of free of charge. These are left uncovered for a few months as the moisture content of the logs drops, then covered top-only either with a tarpaulin or with a sloping wooden lid made of feather-edge (also got for free). The crates I build are usually around 0.8 metres x 0.8 metres. Some are almost 2 metres tall but most only half that.

If I do need to leave some longer stuff lying around, I'd use a couple of lengths as base pieces lying on the ground and stack everything else across those.

This works for me as I'm only cutting what we need for personal use. I guess if you're looking at a commercial operation, this way of doing it probably doesn't scale too well.
SimonFisher

Postby Cassie » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks Guys these are logs cut to size & split for personal use our first year seasoning the logs so we need to build up a store as we get through quite a lot.
Thanks again
Cassie

Postby coppiceer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Be careful with security. Hopefully your wood is not accessed by the public(bless them). But if it is, and someone can get a 4x4 and trailer in, then your logs will surely disappear.

Garden centres are also a good source of free pallets.
coppiceer

Postby Stephen1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 am

In many managed woods most of the trees are relatively young, typically less than eighty years or so, and there is relatively little dead wood. This is particularly true of coppice woodand. One of the probems with storing and stacking firewood in your woodland is that what is firewood to you is deadwood as far as all the beetles etc. are concerned. In fact in many woodlands it might be the main apparent resource of deadwood for a large area. When this is the case such a stack of firewood can act as a focus for those species that use dead wood. In coppice woodlands the populations of these species are small and a significant percentage of them can end up laying their eggs on the firewood stack. These eggs hatch on the firewood and can take anything from 3 to 10 years as a grub munching through the wood before emerging as a beetle. Unfortunately long before they emerge they are carried out of the wood and on to someones fire, severley depleting an aready small population within the wood. As firewood is seasoned and burnt long before the insects emerge the large round easily noticed holes that demonstrate their presence are never made and their being there is unknown.

Obviously this isn't an issue in woods with plenty of other deadwood around the place, but in managed coppice woodlands firewood left stacked to season in the wood can literally mop up the last remnants of species that use deadwood. (The few mated females fly around looking for deadwood find the firewood stacks and lay their eggs there.)

All the heating in our house is from firewood - I'm not suggesting it's cruel or wrong to burn grubs - death is a part of life! - I'm just talking about the effect on populations of dead wood using species in certain types of woodland - which can be driven to the point of local extinction if the seasoning of firewood isn't given much consideration. The species at risk usually have very poor long distance dispersal and when they are lost from a woodland then often they don't recolonise for hundreds of years if at all (this is presumed from studies looking at their continued absence in isolated secondary woodland that is hundreds of years old).

In no way am I telling anyone what to do here - I'm just offering a point you may wish to give some thought to.
Last edited by Stephen1 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen1

Postby Cassie » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Just a brief response Stephen our woodland is approximately 40 years old mainly Larch and a few Sycamore & Silver Birch, not been managed in all this time so there are plenty of dead trees both standing and lying on the ground, we have an abundance of insects and birds including Woodpeckers who nest in the dead trees, I also make habitat piles and would like to think myself as a responsible conservationist and hope I can find a happy balance between nature and using carbon neutral fuel from my under- managed woodland.
Cassie

Postby Stephen1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Cassie wrote:Just a brief response Stephen our woodland is approximately 40 years old mainly Larch and a few Sycamore & Silver Birch, not been managed in all this time so there are plenty of dead trees both standing and lying on the ground, we have an abundance of insects and birds including Woodpeckers who nest in the dead trees, I also make habitat piles and would like to think myself as a responsible conservationist and hope I can find a happy balance between nature and using carbon neutral fuel from my under- managed woodland.

Well as I stressed it wasn't a moral judgement I was making, just a suggestion to be aware of a problem that can occur when seasoning firewood in certain specific woodland situations.

As I mentioned I heat my house wholly with wood - and I part-season much of that wood within the woodland. If you're interested I do two things which might be of use to you depending on the size of your wood, public access/paranoid safety issues and your own approach to how you feel your woodland 'should' look (tideness etc.)

Ring Barking. Ring barking standing trees kills them on their feet. If done in winter (when the sap is down) then 18 months later the top third of soft woods, like larch, will typically be down to less than 25% Moisture content. At chest height the M.C. may still be considerably more than 30% M.C., but ring barking is very quick and puts you ahead - when you do come to fell the tree it will be easier to handle as it will already have lost a considerable amount of weight as it dried - before processing and stacking to finish off seasoning somewhere else. This technique is much more suited to soft woods than hard woods.
Sour felling. This involves felling the tree in the early summer when the leaves are open (not early spring you want the leaves to be mature). The tree is then left on the ground whole and intact. Transpiration continues to take place through both the leaves and later stomata on the young twigs - causing moisture to be pulled out of the stem of the tree. In hardwoods this effect of accelerated drying lasts for about eight weeks (I've read continental studies suggesting longer, but my own experience is that the effect is imperceptable after approximately eight weeks. In that time though a tree in a breezy location can have reduced its M.C. by up to 20% -depending on its size and the ratio of crown to trunk. This technique can also be used for softwoods where the effect lasts longer than eight weeks, but unfortunately I don't know any figures to offer you.

The other thing I do is to leave logs stacked in just under 10 foot lengths in the wood (the size of the trailer I use) but to split them down the middle before stacking. I use either a froe or three wedges depending on the diameter of the wood. With a much greater surface area exposed to the air the wood seasons about 170% faster (i.e 1.7 times as fast) as logs that length left whole. Again you have the advantage when you come to move the wood that it will be lighter, and only a chainsaw is needed to finish off processing to final size as it's already spit. Splitting logs of this length once with wedges at ninety degrees to the round is also quicker than splitting many cut logs.

Of course with the above methods it takes longer from start to fully seasoned wood, but the time that is needed after the wood has been cut/split to it's final size to season is much less - so you need a much smaller log store at home. The other advantage is that people don't steal ring barked standing, or felled whole trees or 10foot lengths quite as readily as they do finished logs left in woodland. Also when you're finishing the wood off it is much lighter.

I hope you find a technique that works well for you and your woodland. Always try and minimize the number of times you handle each piece of wood - the wear and tear on your body adds up over the years! Given what you say of your woods with a large proportion of larch I wouldn't worry too much about how much dead wood there is, there will be plenty soon enough :cry:
Stephen1

Postby Cassie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Thank you Stephen for your detailed reply and for taking the time to provide the information which I'm sure will be very useful to us in the years to come :)
Cassie

Postby Landpikey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm

I was just trawling through the older posts and came across this one. Some great advice there Stephen. I'll be looking more into this upon my return to the woods.
:D
Landpikey

Return to General