Small Woodland Owners' Group

Recreational Tree Climbing

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Recreational Tree Climbing

Postby Bofh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi folks, I've been looking into setting up a club and indeed if possible, a company to allow people to experience the thrill of Tree climbing in a safe environment.

Sadly I still don't own my own woodland, but I still have many plans that need a home :D I'd like to know if any of you owners in the south east especially the Kent area, might be interested in helping out with a venue at some point in the future. I'm currently making enquiries with an old friend regarding the land he uses for an Airgun club. There are a couple of decent trees that could be suitable, but to be honest I'd rather have a broadleaved woodland setting for such activities for obvious reasons.

Whilst I'm interested in potential venue's for commercial purposes, I'd also like to know if anyone else here is into recreational tree climbing in my area. There seems to be a huge difference between the UK and the USA regarding the sport or recreational activity if you like.

This is something I'd like to change ;)

If it's something you've not tried, I highly recommend you do.
Bofh

Re: Recreational Tree Climbing

Postby Binz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:11 pm

this has been done in a sanitized way by 'go ape' in a few locations. So insurance is getable if you can demonstate that reasonable actions are being taken to manage foreseable risks, companies who arrange rock climbing and other adventure stuff manage OK.
To cover the costs of insurance, your time, etc, I expect you will need to offer people more than they could get by just going into local woods and climbing trees by themselves.

as for conkers being banned etc, see http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/top10myths.htm
"If kids deliberately hit each other over the head with conkers, that’s a discipline issue, not health and safety."

if you do go ahead, maybe you should include a quote from this page http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/record/2012 ... 060312.htm
Binz

Postby Terry » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:36 pm

We have some very good climbing trees, unfortunately we are a long way from you.
I have free climbed a few that have suitable branch structures etc, but am eyeing up some monsters that would require ropes.

I suspect the OP is on about tree climbing with ropes - if this is the case, would have thought insurance etc would be no different to companies offering rock climbing.
Terry

Postby Sparrowhatchforestry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:54 pm

A few years back I was asked to inspect and deadwood a tree for the very same purpose at Bewl water in kent. Im not sure if they still run it however it was quite costly as there has to be at least two instructors and the clients could only ascend or descend the rope with a prussic. I would imaging the difficulty in undertaking this would be the training it takes to be able to access the canopy and branch walk, where the most fun is!!

But good luck to you, It may be worth contacting bewl water to see if they still do it, and if the dont offering to run it on their site a percentage of the profit etc
www.Sparrowhatchforestry.co.uk
[email protected]
Sparrowhatchforestry

Postby Bofh » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I will make some enquiries soon regarding insurance etc, as I say there are a couple of places the I've found on the web, one in Devon and the other in the Isle of White.

So it's certainly doable ;)

Obviously not owning my own land is the biggest hurdle, I'm trying to establish what the law/rules are regarding other peoples land and trees also public woodland.
Bofh

Postby Sparrowhatchforestry » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:16 am

Using other peoples land shouldnt present an issue, as long as you have permission and insurance. You should remember that "Public Land" is still owned by somone, local authoritys, forestry comm etc and access is granted for specific things such as walking, cycling, horse riding, and therefore you should approach them in the same way as landowners.
www.Sparrowhatchforestry.co.uk
[email protected]
Sparrowhatchforestry

Return to General