Small Woodland Owners' Group

New Woodland / Planting Grants / Fencing

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

New Woodland / Planting Grants / Fencing

Postby Sam webb » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Ok - first new post so here we go.

We've a bit of land and have decided to plant a new wood ( 10 acres ) - we've processed some inital paperwork with the advisor - but it seems to be tied up with the Welsh Gov and apparently we have to wait until it's IACS registered. Until we get this, basicly we're on stop - the next hoop is an approved fencing plan which again we have to wait for the green light before putting any fencing into the ground. I was looking to get it all started October / Novemeber / December ( at least the fencing / gates ) - but the planting may go to February next year. And we've been advised not to fence until it's approved...

With all this rain we may be struggling anyway - but if we get a dry spell ( ??) I want to crack on.

Has anyone been through this process and perhaps shed some light / give me some pointers ?

The sooner the trees are in the ground the sooner they'll get going - and Spring's busy enough for us.

Thanks in advance.

Sam.
Sam webb

Re: New Woodland / Planting Grants / Fencing

Postby Hobby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:53 pm

I wasn't aware and cant believe you would need permission to plant a woodland on an open field.
After all, if you leave nature to its own devices a woodland will eventually colonise the site anyway.......madness.
Hobby

Postby Sam webb » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Sorry 'the bit of land' we've got is a steep hillside - we're going to keep some of the gorse and natural vegatation and the lower half already used for Hay. We want to increase the wildlife habitat - long term and woodland seems the best way to go.
Sam webb

Postby coppiceer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:24 pm

I assume that you have been in touch with your local wildlife/RSPB type organisations for advice regarding the wildlife habitats that you already have: the sort of gorse/scrub habitat that you describe will have wildlife benefits of its own. It seems a shame to push one set of wildlife out simply to create conditions for another one, and creating any woodland is a lot of hard work. It's not only woodland that is important for wildlife.
coppiceer

Postby Hobby » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:55 pm

For anyone who says creating "any" woodland is hard work, Aspen is a species they can without doubt have no experience of !!!.
It sends shoots off the parent plant over and over again, especially when felled, and really must be a serious rival for willow in terms of a sustainable harvest crop.
If I didn't mow our 3 acre paddock twice a year it would become a young Aspen woodland without lifting a finger within 5-7 years.....
Last edited by Hobby on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobby

Postby Sam webb » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:08 am

Coppiceer - Aye - we've been working closly with our local RSPB advisor as we've already put up a range of new nest boxes and there's more to come. The children are busy looking at all the bird books !
Sam webb

Return to General