Small Woodland Owners' Group

The Elusive Woodland Plot

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

The Elusive Woodland Plot

Postby chuckypig » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi as a Newbee here I have just posted a small piece about myself in the Introductions section.

I have been looking for some time but woodland comes up for sale nearby once in a blue moon. For anyone interested I have recently viewed some from Voyce Pullin agents in the M4/M48 area. This has a Woodland Trust notice on the gate and as I understand will need to be managed primarily for unrestricted public access.

I would ideally like to be able to work the plot to gain another line of income. Time/money spent, weighed against potential income, you can argue, part time jobs will pay just as well or even better. So add in a factor for pleasure and you will see what drives me the most.

Ideally it would be partly coppice with some oak which might be used for timber framing. Obviously managed with sustainability in mind.

Can anyone give some do's and dont's as regards the above. Any advice on species for coppice would be interesting. There may be a local market for sweet chestnut poles but local growing conditions and simple availability will be sure to dictate in the end.

I have no inclination to want to build any dwellings there. No need for it as I see things.

Many thanks. Con.
chuckypig

Return to General