Small Woodland Owners' Group

keep reading posts about theft

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: keep reading posts about theft

Postby RichardKing » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Unless of course they happened to have a dog with them.
RichardKing

Postby Domeyhead » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:53 pm

But and it's a big but, don't make it a big butt! :D
Domeyhead

Postby hornbeam_mad » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:56 pm

A great idea :) although possibly not great to broadcast on the internet. As my dad pointed out the other day people with bad intentions could browse forums looking for users talking about their new expensive toys.

James
hornbeam_mad

Postby docsquid » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Distributing things in lots of places is another good ploy - don't put everything in one place (unless that place is VERY secure) - that way it is hard for anybody to steal very much. We also make sure that things are located away from main paths and to prevent vehicle access to the woods - again, if you don't make it easy to get to the places where interesting things are, then it is much harder for them to steal, and if they do, they won't take very much.

I like the butts idea though :) Perhaps with some kind of scrote-trap on the approach :twisted: :twisted:
docsquid

Postby Binz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 am

we have a water butt for storage; on its side and covered so it can't be seen unless you are within just a few feet of it. But either due to water getting in or condensation things go rusty, so make sure tools are well oiled before shoving them in your butt !!!
Binz

Postby Alex » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:30 am

:D

I'm fortunate most of my land is near to the house, but we have had stuff taken before, my neighbours more so, including a quad bike.

We've lost sheep, so we never any longer keep them in that particular roadside field. The worst was scrap metal thieves taking a large part of a trailer, they must of used a small crane to lift, cheeky bastards.

Point is, thieves will go to great lengths to take stuff, not much can be done, hiding stuff and spreading it out might help, don't things exist that look like large rocks, but are actually secure storage units?
Alex

Return to General