Small Woodland Owners' Group

Effects of record wet weather

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Effects of record wet weather

Postby Sussexboy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Most people I have spoken to are commenting on the lack of acorns this year. This is a big problem for many of our woodland species who rely on the acorns as a staple food.
Sussexboy

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Lack of field mushrooms despite the wet weather.

Unless somebody has been quicker to pick them, before me.
Alex

Postby Jackdaw » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:50 pm

I can 2nd that Sussex lad, I found 1 single acorn this year within our patch, 1 !!!.
Good job I sowed 500 of the buggers last year, 95% are now growing well and ready to plant out.
Jackdaw

Postby Stephen1 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Sussexboy wrote:Most people I have spoken to are commenting on the lack of acorns this year. This is a big problem for many of our woodland species who rely on the acorns as a staple food.

Forgive me speaking frankly but this just isn't the case. Oak (along with many other species i.e. beech) is a "masting" species. This means that it produces very different amounts of seed from one year to the next. To a large extent weather plays a part (more so for beech than oak) but this is a strategy to avoid predation of All their seed. If a tree produces a similar amount of seed from one year to the next, then species that eat the seed can adapt their numbers and behaviour to make use of this regular source of seed/food. If you have years where only a little amount of seed is produced, then those species for whom that seed production is important will have a population crash - due to the lack of that important food source that year. If the trees then follow that low production of seed with a year where they produce a dramatic amount of seed then those species that are important predators of that seed will be at a low population number, and consequently a larger proportion of that year's seed will escape predation.

The low production of acorns in many parts of the uk this year is Not a big problem for many of our woodland species - it is part of the natural balancing between acorn predators and oak reproduction.

(Obviously there is more to the genetic pattern of potential masting and the way in which this potential pattern interacts with the weather - but I could bore for Wales on it and don't think anyone deserves that!)
Stephen1

Postby Whatisheatnow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 pm

Regarding mushrooms, I have not seen a single field mushroom, (field agaric), this year in my part of Ireland, presumably due to waterlogged state of the ground. Fieldfares have arrived early, must be rough weather in Scandanavia. Plenty of haws and rowan berries around, though.
Whatisheatnow

Return to General