Small Woodland Owners' Group

Using wood on the farm

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Using wood on the farm

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:12 pm

My grandfather planted a small (less than 2 acres) plantation of larch (not sure of the exact name of the conifer growing, he's always called it Italian larch) in the 1950's, he did it for shelter purposes, but wasn't trained how to plant tree's, and so 60 year's later, it's bit of a mess, tree's too close together, and a few leaning here and there. Planted at a time before environmental schemes, were in place, and according to him he salvaged all the tree's from a hole dug out by a lazy tree planter nearby.

The small woodland has provided useful shelter for the stock in the winter, and has given us some decent planks and boards for rails used in fencing and making gates. I plan on harvesting a bit more of it, and perhaps even extending it as part of a scheme, and for future use. I'd love to be in my old age, and look at it with pride, and hopefully use the timbers on the farm as my grandfather has done.

If you were to recommend a strong, fast growing tree, for extending it, or replanting, what would it be? (Note it's in an upland area of Wales, not down south like most of you appear to be from on here :) )

I might take some pictures of it in the near future, to show how it's currently looking, and would welcome any ideas or suggestions what to do with it. The more I read about grants for woodland creation, I can't help but think how much I enjoy working with wood and nature, and surely there must be schemes to help with the costs of improving woodland, and not just creating it !
Alex

Re: Using wood on the farm

Postby splodger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Alex wrote:If you were to recommend a strong, fast growing tree, for extending it, or replanting, what would it be? (Note it's in an upland area of Wales, not down south like most of you appear to be from on here :) )

i'd recommend sweet chestnut (but i am somewhat biased - as i love it :D )
splodger

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:52 pm

We would go with Sweet Chestnut as posts,rails etc are very long lasting due to tannin content.

Planted now would be good in 15 - 25 years

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Stephen1 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:35 am

Tell us a bit about the soil, aspect and exposure - 1000 ft up but how exposed?

I agree sweet chestnut is great - and it grows exceptionally well for me (very top of our land is 600 feet) not a million miles away from you. Don't plant a mononculture though! Sweet chestnut is very vulnerable to phytophthoras - all increasing in impact in the UK and, as we've touched on elsewhere, chestnut blight is a very real threat from the continent.
Stephen1

Postby Alex » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks I really appreciate the feedback so far. I'll look into Sweet Chestnut.

I'll do some further analysis of the soils, one issue I do face , is the ground is quite boggy in places, and it's near to a roadside wash-off. And two small pools of water. (Home to wild ducks on occasion, and many frogs).

Aspect is relatively flat, elevation is just under 400ft and the surrounding land is grazed all year round.

Below I have made a quick little plan. Red areas showing saturated ground, and the white outlines highlighting the areas I was thinking of extending into. On the right side (rectangular outline) is a boundary, and at present it's bit of mess, would take a good few days of clearing, the area of a lot of red, might perhaps be too wet to plant in. With the woodland, the tree's are clustered together, and some selective felling is needed to help the better tree's.

I'll take some pictures soon.

Alex

Postby Alex » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Sheep hopefully ! I think the aerial photography has been done in the dry summer. Funny how the paths the sheep have used are shown up!
Alex

Postby Terry » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:43 pm

As stephen said, dont go for a monoculture.
Alder does well in boggy areas does it not?
Terry

Return to General