Small Woodland Owners' Group

Xmas Tree Vandalism/Theft

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Xmas Tree Vandalism/Theft

Postby Steve Medlock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:59 pm

My wood in East Sussex is a division of a larger wooded area with a number of access points. The tracks and gates, I believe, are owned by Woodlands and the gates are kept locked. However, over the years, the keys have been copied many times and no nobody knows who is able to access the woods.

Last Xmas, a tall Norway Spruce on a neighbouring plot was felled across a track with a hatchet and the top section hacked off and carted away as a free xmas tree. It appeared at the time that a 4x4 had gained access to that point to take the tree away. Yesterday, I noticed that I had been the victim this year, presumably by the same person. A 40' tree had been felled and the top removed by combination of saw and hatchet. I remembered seeing fresh tyre tracks and noticing my barrier had been removed on Xmas eve, so again this is someone with a 4x4 and a key to the gates.

I'm sure all small wood owners will know how I feel about a mature tree being felled just for the top. I would imagine that the tree had taken circa 25 years at least to grow to that height.

If I can't control who has free access to my wood, I'm minded to fell the spruce and plant something else!

Steve.
Steve Medlock

Re: Xmas Tree Vandalism/Theft

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Sad News We also have a shared access gate in East Sussex We only have 1 Hemlock but others have plantation style woods.

Why not get the lock changed?? Maybe combination??? Happy New Year

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby The Barrowers » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Hello

Ensure that the camera doesn't go walk about! They have in the past

Happy New Year

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Terry » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:34 pm

RC - what is that camera above - cant see the details and cant find anything on the maplins website??
Terry

Postby Jackdaw » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Ditto Terry !!
Jackdaw

Postby Terry » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Cheers RC
Terry

Postby Terry » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi RC, found it and have been reading up a bit. Only negative report so far is that it has a slow response to the PIR sensor, around 5 seconds. If memory serves, others I have read about have a 1 second response, but cost significantly more
Terry

Postby Binz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:01 am

I've had issues with the seal not sealing and water getting inside camera, so check for that. Can't remember make of camera but it looks like the same one.
Binz

Postby Alex » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 am

It sucks to have things taken, one particular field on our farm isn't used often to keep stock because it's so easy to pull up next to the roadside pen and take stuff, I'd love to catch the bastards that do this (happened twice in last 5 years) and so the idea of a hidden camera appeals.

how did the tests go?
Alex

Postby Alex » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks OCP.

Might be a stupid question but I assume these camera's are constantly on, but then only film/capture once movement is sensed? or is it constantly filming? how long do batteries last?

Is there such a device that would act as a sensor, then remotely trigger an alarm... ie. I put this 'sensor' in the door way of the shed, then switch it on, at night...plug in a little alarm at home, and if somebody decides to enter the shed, the alarm rings at home?
Alex

Next

Return to General