Small Woodland Owners' Group

Theft

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Theft

Postby splodger » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:43 am

i feel your anger OCP - it is so annoying when somebody decides to "help themselves"

please don't take this the wrong way - but you may have yourself to blame

this is an open forum - read by anybody - anywhere - it's great that we can chat about the ins and outs of owning a woodland but i think you need to be wary posting specific details

you have said where your woods are - probably mentioned what kit you have on site - even chatted about security / lack of it - you also advertised to the world - that you were not going to be around that much over xmas/new year - because of the pup etc

there are many more nasty (than nice) people out there in the big bad world - and i expect a good few of them have access to the internet - so don't tell them what you've got, where you keep it and certainly don't tell them when you aren't going to be there.
splodger

Postby Jackdaw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Stick a " beware of the dogs " sign up with a picture of your 2 Jap Aks along side. It works for me and leaves the intended intruder with a major doubt in their mind.
Jackdaw

Postby jennysmate » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:36 pm

A dog forum I'm on advises not to put up "beware of dogs" signs as it shows you were aware of the potential danger of your dog if it injuried someone who consequently sues. Better to put up "Be aware, dogs running free" sign. The things we have to do these days.
I know how you feel ocp, someone stole my spade from my wood last year. Senseless theft as its only worth a few pounds, but priceless to me, as it was my late fathers.
Just been reading about a man who guarded his stash of cannabis with a 5ft. crocodile. They would control any squirrels and rabbits too.
Last edited by jennysmate on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jennysmate

Postby Catweazle » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:37 pm

It's very annoying. My wood was close to a lovely historic village but still quite private, it was very dense coppice. I set up a short shooting range in the middle of 17+ acres, where I could plink away with an air rifle or rimfire to my hearts content. I made a rifle rest from scrap aluminium and just left it there thinking nobody would venture into the middle of such a dense area so far from paths. Wrong, someone nicked it :evil: . I was later told by a local that people were taking rabbits from the wood, the closest pubs ( about 200 yds away ) both had rabbit pie on the menu, so I assume a poacher had found it and taken it for scrap.
Catweazle

Postby Jackdaw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:34 pm

You miss my point JM, There are no dogs there really, but would you risk it !!!.
Jackdaw

Postby Jackdaw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:21 pm

The only log trolley is me, and unless you bear any resemblance to Kate Beckinsale (which I doubt), I'm giving myself up for no one !!!.
Fortunately, I live a mile or so away and own a pick up, so all kit travels with me. ;)
Jackdaw

Postby Jackdaw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 pm

In Kent if that makes it any easier !!.
Jackdaw

Postby jennysmate » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:15 pm

I think any sort of sign will just draw attention and get undesireables to wonder what's in there that needs guarding. They'll soon realise that imaginary dogs are just that.
jennysmate

Postby jennysmate » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:54 pm

You miss my point JM, There are no dogs there really, but would you risk it !!!.

I was refering to Jackdaws comments. As I have an akita cross, I know that they are gentle giants.... unless you try to force them to do something they really dont want to, I have the scars to prove it.
jennysmate

Postby Alex » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 am

Hope you get it back in one piece.

Doesn't matter what you do, bad people will always find a way to get in a place and take stuff if they really want to, all these sign ideas are novel, but ultimately a waste of time in my opinion.

What we need is a justice system that punishes criminals, there is no deterrent these days.
Won't be long til, less forgiving land owners and honest people end up taking the law in their own hands because of this.
Alex

Next

Return to General