Small Woodland Owners' Group

Started clearing

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Started clearing

Postby MattF » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Well finally got into the wood this weekend and started clearing some tree's for some parking.

The amount of people that asked what are you doing I suppose that if you start to look after a wood that has been neglected for about 18 years then you I suppose I will get questions like that

Matt
MattF

Re: Started clearing

Postby Andy M » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Making a pole lathe should be straight forward - the only thing you need is to be able to rip a long straight line in a log/thick plank - everything else flows from that. Look out for books by Mike Abbott
Andy M

Postby MattF » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:13 pm

ratcatcher wrote:would be interested in getting into green woodworking, see you mentioned it, would want to make a pole lathe from stuff out of our woods, is that possible?
to leave there, maybe under a tarp?

It's possible but make one from sawn timber here is a link to a plan http://www.bodgers.org.uk/plans-menu/56-making-a-treadle-or-pole-lathe

I use a powered lathe I had a go on a pole lathe but paid for it the next day due to having worn out Knees :(
MattF

Postby Chunkymunky » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:21 pm

MattF wrote:
ratcatcher wrote:would be interested in getting into green woodworking, see you mentioned it, would want to make a pole lathe from stuff out of our woods, is that possible?

It's possible but make one from sawn timber here is a link to a plan http://www.bodgers.org.uk/plans-menu/56-making-a-treadle-or-pole-lathe

I use a powered lathe I had a go on a pole lathe but paid for it the next day due to having worn out Knees :(

You could make a bar stool to perch against maybe?

Where do you hail from?
Chunkymunky

Postby MattF » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Chunkymunky wrote:
MattF wrote:

You could make a bar stool to perch against maybe?

Where do you hail from?

I'm from Chesterfield
MattF

Postby Chunkymunky » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Ah ok.
Chunkymunky

Postby MattF » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

This is made from Plum it doesn't show it off very well

MattF