Small Woodland Owners' Group

112. Worth Knowing

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: 112. Worth Knowing

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:12 pm

I may be wrong on some of the finer points because that's not a side I deal with directly however I do know my training and what I know from experience.
Chunkymunky

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:The Police and security services do not publicise their abilities and means of tracing calls for obvious reasons.

Drat it OldClayPaws, don't you see that your sister-in-law is obviously part of the consipracy to prevent the good folk of the UK knowing for sure that we have a superior emergency service on 112 than we have on 999, awareness of which must be kept from the general public at all costs? ;)
SimonFisher

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:36 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:I think you'll find that the GPS system was developed by the US military and they control it. Various services have access, with M16 and the intelligence services able to find where you've had a leak in the bushes via infra red if they so chose. Big brother is watching. The emergency services have access to GPS tracing, but they have to say please.

If you want someone to find you quick, I suggest you ring 112 or 999 (no difference) and say

" I am an American citizen and held captive by Al Queda, they have taken my leg off with a Chainsaw. Send Chuck Norris now."

Within 18.5 seconds, a F 35 will be hovering over, a SWAT team will be descending from the trees, Hugh Laurie will be primed to diagnose your injuries, and a congressional medal of honour will be in the post.

If you say, "I bought a cheap Chinese Chainsaw on Ebay and am bleeding to death", they are likely to say, "Well, I'm about to go on Teabreak, its called Natural Selection, tough !! BTW, I'm OCP's Sister-In-Law, can't say you weren't warned".

Hahahaha that's funny. Like the "send chuck Norris" bit
Chunkymunky

Postby Meadowcopse » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:31 pm

To be able to triangulate with any practical location, the ability for your mobile to be operating within at least two cells is a requirement (not always possible in rural areas, regardless of network provider), as well as the technology with the operator(s) to ping the cell masts handshaking with the phone - 999 / 112 in the UK has no routing difference and 999 was kept for historical familiarity reasons.
Calling Line ID to 999 / 112 transfers between fixed line operators (Ofcom requirement), such information from a mobile station is embedded in VOIP multiplexed data.

"Emergency mobile roaming
When a mobile phone is used to make a call to the emergency service numbers (999 and 112) and the provider's network is unavailable, the call will roam onto alternative network that has the best signal in the area. This facility will be of particularly benefit in rural areas (announced by Ofcom [external website] the communications regulator on 15 October, 2009)." https://update.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/con ... unications

In the past I've worked with a few remote site telemetry systems, originally expensive fixed line and more recently GSM SIM card modems, BT Business now do an attractive broadband / VOIP package where a fixed line can be installed.
However, VOIP has similar issues as mobiles and Ofcom have regulated after consultation for emergency service access:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consul ... statement/

With my proper job, there used to be the option of a Nimrod response as command & control to a major incident...
Meadowcopse

Postby Chunkymunky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Interesting.its gsm sim based equipment I install
Chunkymunky

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Chunkymunky wrote:Interesting.its gsm sim based equipment I install

That's what the guy in PhonesRUS just said to me :lol:
SimonFisher

Previous

Return to General