Small Woodland Owners' Group

112. Worth Knowing

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: 112. Worth Knowing

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:52 am

I can't find anything official to suggest there's any difference between using 112 and 999. Historically, 999 is used in the UK. Outside the UK, 112 had wider use and so its use was adopted onto the UK systems, with calls routed to the same emergecy operations as 999.

There's also nothing to suggest that any ability to locate your mobile using triangulation (based on nearby transmitter masts) is lost if you use 999 rather than 112. I wouldn't suggest anyone relying on the emergency services being able to find you quickly from such information in any case.

If you're working in the woods (as I guess is the main interest here), make sure you have your location details ready to give. If your position is away from a main road and working alone, you might be prepared enough to leave a notice at the main road advising the paramedics where to find you.

This site http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/ appears to be the official site of the body that runs the service that allows you to send texts to 999. It does reiterate the need to register first as stated in the video.

I've just sent "register" to 999, received my first response, then sent "yes" to 999 and received an acknowledgement that I'm registered. The texts refer to http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/ for further details. I then sent "register" to 112 and received a reply stating I'm already registered. So for texting purposes too, either 112 or 112 are handled.

I understand that the UK mobile networks no longer permit emergency calls from handsets that don't have a SIM due to the large number of false/hoax calls that couldn't be traced. So you do need a mobile with a SIM. It will use any network it can find if you're out of range of your own network provider.

There's also no evidence to support the myth that in the case of an emergency, a phone with a dead battery will still be able to make an emergency call ;-)
SimonFisher

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:37 am

The reason it can be triangulated is simple. 999 calls are redirected and are not routed through specific exchanges. 112 calls go through networked exchanges allowing traceability.

It's a Hollywood misconception that all calls can be traced. Specific numbers can. Mobile numbers can. If you have a smart phone you phone is actually able to be tracked as long as you have location settings set to on or open.

And yes a flat battery is just that.

They're not going to tell you all these things useless asked. Just like they won't tell you that many rural mobile aerials are powered down between 11 and 6 am, or that many of these wind farms have to be turned off when's winds are more than 60mph which is 1/3 of the time.
Chunkymunky

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:56 am

Chunkymunky wrote:The reason it can be triangulated is simple. 999 calls are redirected and are not routed through specific exchanges. 112 calls go through networked exchanges allowing traceability.

Can you back this up with anything other than simply repeating? This is no better than "bloke down the pub said..."

There's a good thread on another forum here http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3632 with one post in particular seeming to know about more about the specifics than has been talked about here and which reiterates that 112 calls are routed and handled the same as 999 ones.
SimonFisher

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:31 am

As I operate off my phone it would be hard to show you pages from my training course.

As far as my knowledge goes. Certainly not pub based. 5 years surveying waterways, installing and assessing viability of ip, GPS, gprs, based monitoring equipment for most of the water providers. I routinely spend 3-5 day sessions at communication based training conferences.
Chunkymunky

Postby Alex » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 am

My impression was 999 is UK specific, 112 can be used throughout Europe.
Alex

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 pm

That is true. 999 as a number is antique. Introducing 112 brings us into line with Europe. It also has other advantages. By introducing a new number the method for routing has been changed. 999 was introduced in the days of manual call routing whereas now calls are computer directed.
Chunkymunky

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Chunkymunky wrote:As I operate off my phone it would be hard to show you pages from my training course.

As suggested here (http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3632), just because the same message is repeated via training courses, doesn't make it correct.
SimonFisher

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Alex wrote:My impression was 999 is UK specific, 112 can be used throughout Europe.

The UK it would appear is not the only state to use 999. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999_%28emergency_telephone_number%29, it is also used in Kingdom of Swaziland, Ireland, Poland, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Macau, Bahrain, Qatar, Bangladesh, Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Mauritius, Singapore, Zimbabwe, and Trinidad and Tobago.
SimonFisher

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Chunkymunky wrote:That is true. 999 as a number is antique. Introducing 112 brings us into line with Europe. It also has other advantages. By introducing a new number the method for routing has been changed. 999 was introduced in the days of manual call routing whereas now calls are computer directed.

So you're saying that when fully automatic call routing was introduced, the 999 number still on "manual" couldn't be moved across and we had to wait for a new number to be introduced - that 112 is automatically routed, but 999 isn't !!!!!!

999 is as far as I'm aware still the typically quoted number in the likes of adverts and campaigns for fire prevention for example. I'm sure just a few days ago I saw a TV message about smoke alarms which ended along of the lines of "in the event of a fire, dial 999". You may think it antique, but I'm guessing the majority of people in the UK if asked what the number is to call the emergency services would reply with 999. We have 999 for reasons pertaining to the limitations of the technology at the time it was introduced. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999_%28emergency_telephone_number%29#History if you're interested. I don't think 999 is going to disappear.

By suggesting that 112 is in someway a better service than 999, you are it would appear propagating a myth, and perhaps causing those of brought up in the UK who have had it drilled into them since childhood that you dial 999 in an emergency that they now have to remember something else instead. You believe whatever you want, but looking at the information available I believe you are misinformed.
SimonFisher

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:21 pm

So you're saying that because you've done a bit of a poke around on the Internet you're now fully versed in how it all works?

So 3x advanced city and guilds, 5 years experience and countless meetings with industry experts means I know nothing because you found something online.

Going to go read up on medical myths now for 5 mins so I know more that my doc when I see him later.
Chunkymunky

PreviousNext

Return to General