Small Woodland Owners' Group

112. Worth Knowing

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: 112. Worth Knowing

Postby The Barrowers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Hello All

Whether it is 112 or 999, it's not much use if help can't find you.

I like the idea of writing the Grid References on the chainsaw.

I will do that as by the time I have crawled to get my emergency plan, trying to keep my CELOX in the wound, sorry did I say CELOX. I keep a sachet near by when working. Goggle it.

Hope we need neither CELOX or Emergency help.

Keep Safe

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:38 pm

The Barrowers wrote:Hello All

Whether it is 112 or 999, it's not much use if help can't find you.

I like the idea of writing the Grid References on the chainsaw.

I will do that as by the time I have crawled to get my emergency plan, trying to keep my CELOX in the wound, sorry did I say CELOX. I keep a sachet near by when working. Goggle it.

Hope we need neither CELOX or Emergency help.

Keep Safe

B and T

+1. Certainly with chainsaws time is vital.

I think lone working is wrong really when it comes to tree felling
Chunkymunky

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Chunkymunky wrote:So you're saying that because you've done a bit of a poke around on the Internet you're now fully versed in how it all works?

No, I'm not fully versed in how it works which is why I've looked at various UK fire and rescue service web sites, the OFCOM web site, and other seemingly informed writers to try and understand whether there is a difference between the functionality and processing of 112 and 999 calls. Everything I've read suggests that there is no difference in function or performance in using 999 or 112 in the UK, and that stories of them being different are incorrect and keep being propagated without any evidence to the contrary.
SimonFisher

Postby davetb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:36 pm

I have tried not to respond further but feel misinformation is continuing be spouted as fact.
I think anyone who still tries to claim that 112 can be pinpointed better than 999 should try to back up their (false) claims.

Can you imagine (bleeding) and dialling 999 and being told to disconnect and redial 112 so we can try to locate you faster.
I don't think so.... :lol:

Here's a copied question from the national 'Ask the Police' website.
Dorset police also mention the 112 hoax on their website.

Q619: Is 112 an emergency number?

Yes, 112 is the single European emergency number. The number should only be used in an emergency as with 999.

This means that wherever you are in the European Union you can dial 112 from a mobile or land line and you will be put through to the emergency services in the country you are in.

The number has been introduced so that visitors to other countries within Europe do not have to remember a lot of different numbers for the emergency services. The calls are dealt with in exactly the same way as they would be if the caller had rung the national number for emergencies.
davetb

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:27 pm

davetb wrote:I have tried not to respond further but feel misinformation is continuing be spouted as fact.
I think anyone who still tries to claim that 112 can be pinpointed better than 999 should try to back up their (false) claims.

Can you imagine (bleeding) and dialling 999 and being told to disconnect and redial 112 so we can try to locate you faster.

Yes, 112 is the single European emergency number. The number should only be used in an emergency as with 999.

This means that wherever you are in the European Union you can dial 112 from a mobile or land line and you will be put through to the emergency services in the country you are in.

The number has been introduced so that visitors to other countries within Europe do not have to remember a lot of different numbers for the emergency services. The calls are dealt with in exactly the same way as they would be if the caller had rung the national number for emergencies.

How does that prove anything is false?

I'm not going to comment further. You can believe what you like. I know what I do with foundation.

I've tried explaining it and you've come at it from another angle. You call 999, first thing that happens is someone asks what service you want and you are then redirected. You call 112 they ask the issue and they pass the information to services. A redirected call can't be triangulated by anyone. Hence 112 is triangulatable. Why would they release this information to joe bloggs ?
By triangulate I mean they can ascertain which masts you are between.

If you make a hoax call to 999 they can only identify your number ( even if blocked).

I'm not going to start copying emails, training manuals and give out contacts for people BT/cable and wireless/ or the like because that would breach confidence and jeopardise a lucrative contract to keep you happy. I've tried to give you what I can to support it but can't go further. Entirely up to you what you do with that.

As far as other advice goes yes have grid ref details. ( grid ref app on iPhone is brilliant for a ref within 6m). Certainly if you are doing a lot of chainsaw work don't be alone. It's hard tying a tourniquet when you are losing pints.
Chunkymunky

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:50 pm

Chunkymunky wrote:I've tried explaining it and you've come at it from another angle. You call 999, first thing that happens is someone asks what service you want and you are then redirected. You call 112 they ask the issue and they pass the information to services.

If you call 999, you are asked “Which emergency service do you require?”. You would typically answer with on of “Police”, “Ambulance”, “Fire Service”, “Coastguard”. Your call is then passed to a Control Room of the service you have requested where an operator will take the details of your emergency, arrange the despatch of their crews, and if necessary offer advice. I do not believe that any part of the process to be any different if you instead call 112. Regardless of whether you have dialled 999 or 112 you are speaking to the same people who have the same information about you and your call.
SimonFisher

Postby davetb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 pm

The combat tourniquets are amazing.
They are designed to be simple and it's possible to put them on yourself one handed, for obvious reasons.
They are only useful for limb injuries.
They are quoted to be the main reason for the recent big improvement in our troops' increased survival rate.
Central injuries are a bit more of a problem.
The Barrowers comment on celox will make me think, but I think limb injuries are far more likely.
I have practised with mine. Lots of my blood may 'focus my mind'.
If you are 'losing pints' there's no point phoning anyone, except your loved ones to say goodbye.
I'll be trying to stop catastrophic bleeding before I try 999 / 112.
And yes, I'll try the tourniquet before the phone, given the right set of circumstances.
I've been given mine from colleagues who are in the Forces, but I think they're available to buy.
When to use a tourniquet, out of hospital is a huge 'can of worms', and not suitable for us to discuss, but I think it'll be clear to me when I need one.
davetb

Postby SimonFisher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Chunkymunky wrote:
davetb wrote:I have tried not to respond further but feel misinformation is continuing be spouted as fact.

How does that prove anything is false?

It shows that the police are telling us that a call to 112 is handled in the same way as a call to 999. This is contrary to what you tell us to believe.
SimonFisher

Postby MartinB » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:32 pm

This is my one and only post and them I'm out.

IF 112 was a better emergency number than 999, would 999 still exist?
Further, if 112 was the better number to call, I somehow think that the general public would have been told or is it only for special people.

Btw, my Dad can beat your Dad up. :mrgreen:
MartinB

Postby Chunkymunky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:48 pm

So ask her which calls can be traced
Chunkymunky

PreviousNext

Return to General