Small Woodland Owners' Group

what techy gadget for use in woods

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

what techy gadget for use in woods

Postby splodger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:41 pm

i've been spending much more time up our woods recently - mostly because my dad can't be there so much

anyway i am in need of a technology update - i currently have a dumb phone, no tablets or such like and no laptop.

ordinarily i don't care about techy on the move - but as i am there more than at home - i think i'm going to have to get something that can be used (and be useful) up the woods - trouble is i am so out of touch with all the new fangled techy stuff that i really don't know what would be best to get and i'd rather spend out on just one thing instead of multiple items.

i want to be able to surf net and pick up emails - log into here, naturally ;)
it would be good if all that sort of thing came on a phone type device (i don't know if those tablet things are phones too are they?)
i guess all the smart phones have cameras too - so that would be useful - especially for quick pics
it would be nice to be able to watch tv / movie or something or cold, wets days or if stopping over for the night - but i think an actual tv via a dish might be easier to set up and use

anybody got any suggestions?
splodger

Re: what techy gadget for use in woods

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:33 am

I'd suggest that before you start thinking about models of smartphones or tablets, you check what sort of data signal you get in your woods and whether it's going to be good enough for the type of thing you might do. This is going to vary between the four networks depending on their coverage in your area. You could try working out from their coverage map or coverage checker what sort of signal you'll get, although I'd probably want to invite a friend with a smartphone or tablet and see how good it is in real use. Here's the coverage checker for the O2 network - http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker. The other networks are I think EE (includes Orange and T-Mobile), Vodafone and 3. There are many other companies selling contracts that utilise these four networks.

I find for example that in my woods, my phone will just about manage to slowly trickle email back and forth while it's in my pocket or the car. Attempting to use the web or anything else where higher speeds of data are needed for practical use is painfully slow and often sees timeouts that make it almost useless.

Most tablets currently available don't allow voice calls to be made and received, although there are some on the market that do such as the ASUS Fonepad - http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2013/02/25/asus-fonepad-review-first-look/

Most if not all smartphones and tablets will allow you to take photos and video. I find that with my Samsung Galaxy III, they look OK when viewed on the handset itself, but transfer to a PC and start blowing them up or printing them and they can start to be a little disppointing. So, yes, great to have as it's always in my pocket but if I know in advance that I want to record some imagery then I'd pack my stills camera or my video camera.

Watching TV live or streaming any other video is going to place heavy demands on your data connection and there are two issues you might consider. First, is my signal good enough (see earlier), and second, is it going to be expensive on my contract? Alternatively, you could consider having stuff to watch pre-loaded onto your device (prepare at home to watch in woods) - where options might include downloading stuff with BBC iPlayer, ripping DVDs, stuff you've recorded at home with a PVR etc. A different solution for live TV could be a laptop with a plug-in Freeview receiver and portable aerial.
SimonFisher

Postby splodger » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:53 pm

thank you so much - that is very helpful info :D
splodger

Postby ncrawshaw » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:07 pm

I agree with Simon. The most important thing is to check the reception in your woodland. For example I used to be with O2 and reception was fairly appalling, then I changed to Vodaphone and it was much better. The different networks vary in coverage across different areas. I'm often in the woods on my own and it was important to be able to contact the outside world in case of accident or injury; that's why I changed network. I use an HTC smartphone and can make and receive calls and texts as well as emails. The camera is handy too, if not quite as good as a stand alone camera.
ncrawshaw

Return to General