Small Woodland Owners' Group

Ramial Chipped Wood or Common Old Brash Chipped

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Ramial Chipped Wood or Common Old Brash Chipped

Postby The Barrowers » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Just found an interesting article that explains the benefits of brash which is often seen as a waste material. It's hedging to me

www.dirtdoctor.com/view_org_research.php?id=69

B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Re: Ramial Chipped Wood or Common Old Brash Chipped

Postby docsquid » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Interesting article.

We use brash in a number of ways - as habitat piles first and foremost, but you get too much for all of it to be used in this way. We also use it for dead-hedging. The hedging isn't terribly neat as that is just an invitation for people to break it down and vandalise it. Instead we shove it in any old how, but mostly with the spiky bits facing outwards, making it difficult to remove. We then drive in stakes to hold it in place, but out of reach! We put it in places where the brambles will grow over it and form natural barbed-wire.

Then we do chip some and place it on the paths where they get particularly wet and boggy. This works in a normal year but has not really kept things in check in a bad year like this year.

Finally we bring some home and use it in the area of the garden where the chickens run around - they destroyed the grass in the 2011-12 drought, and it turns into a nasty quagmire unless something is put there for them to scrubbage around in.
docsquid

Postby The Barrowers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Hello

Tried filling old felling tracks with chip from a hired in chipper. A waste of money, got rid of brash, vibrated hands to bit, mushed to nothing after 2 years
Commercially maybe has better use, Watched John Deere 1 million brash bundler at APF in Stafford bundling up brash for Power Stations, 1 budled fueled 1 house 6 months? or was I dreaming
B and T
B and T
The Barrowers
The Barrowers

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:18 pm

I was considering using it for fuel to fire a biochar retort kiln.

http://greenyourhead.typepad.com/files/ ... ctions.pdf

I'm thinking it would be easier to make it into rough faggots first then feed them in, I guess that's what the J D I million brash bundler does on a slightly larger scale?

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Return to General