Small Woodland Owners' Group

having good woodland neighbours

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

having good woodland neighbours

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:49 pm

when we first bought goose wood, we had many visits where we didn't see another soul, then as the weather warmed up, we started meeting other owners on our visits, one in particular has a very similar outlook on what he and his family want from the woods as us,
we have a seasonal stream that runs across our boundary entrance, and although its passable in the 4x4, in the wetter months it can get churned up a little, plans were made to add some ground pipe so we could drive over, rather than through, not only did our neighbour source us the pipe, and offer to loan us the digger that he had hired this week, but on finding out that we had to cancel today's visit/work party, then offered to do all the work himself for us
makes you realise what a great bunch of people woodland owners are
Dexter's Shed

Re: having good woodland neighbours

Postby Bearwood » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Couldn't agree with you more squire. Good eggs the lot of 'em.
Bearwood

Postby oldclaypaws » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Those who are grounded in nature and reality are sound as a pound. Most farmers or workers of the earth are very down to earth and practical and agreeable, including woody folk. Theres something fundamentally therapeutic about being with trees and plants and observing nature and the seasons.

Perhaps part of the revival in woodland interest is that Cities are becoming stranger and stranger places, where the people's lives are dictated by technology and artificial environments. They feel the need to be closer to something 'real'.

I'd sooner look out over a glade full of birds, flowers and insects while tending to the Kelly Kettle than sip vintage Krug, tell people how much my Ferrari cost, and brag about the value of my Kensington Penthouse. Whatever floats your boat I 'spose.
oldclaypaws

Postby Bearwood » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:55 am

I think your second paragraph touches on something quite profound there Paws. The way the world functions is changing, as technology strives to bring people closer, there will be virtually no need to live in close proximity. A partial reversal of the mass migration seen at the start of the industrial revolution may be on the cards.

The desire for small communities with a true spirit is felt by some city types as demand for homes in the country increases, but its doubtful that the vast majority of city dwellers will uproot to woodlands green.
Bearwood

Return to General