Small Woodland Owners' Group

Storm Damage ?

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: Storm Damage ?

Postby TerryH » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks chaps.. very useful suggestions !
TerryH

Postby Wendelspanswick » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Just returned from visiting our wood. Surprised to see no losses as we had a terrific gale on Friday night. Talking to the guys who run Hestercombe Gardens (a large country house and estate with masses of tree's) they have lost a lot of mature tree's where the root plate has just pulled out of the waterlogged ground. I think this has been our saviour as we are on really well drained soil, the only slightly waterlogged part is a dip on the bridleway.
The estate manager for Hestercombe was saying that they may have to rethink their policy of opening up the area round large specimen tree's as this is removing their protection and leaving them susceptible to the winds.
Wendelspanswick

Postby Dexter's Shed » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:21 pm

just back from our woods, a few big trees down in the gardens of houses along the private road leading to our woods, in our woods the only damage we found was the top of our marquee had ripped off, beyond repair this time, but it served its purpose, and we now have a caravan in our camping area,
Dexter's Shed

Postby Bearwood » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Being atop a flat-topped ridge, or slightly on the northward side in part, I expected the worst, especially amongst the Scots Pine. Not even a tip was down, and both tents remain sound with no damage.

All these winds seem to have created leaf - drifts against the deadwood piles and fedging which has given me an idea for next year to trap and 'harvest' some of the leaves in purpose built fedges or hurdles to provide leaf mould for mulching the orchard, who knows? It might even work!!
Bearwood

Postby Rich » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:44 pm

The FC have set up a very quick survey just to help collate all the impressions we've had of the damage done in our woods.

I've just done it and it took me about 90seconds

https://englandconsult.forestry.gov.uk/ ... s/1ae3ad0f

They would be very grateful if you could spare a minute (yeah I guess I took my time a bit!) to fill it out.
Many thanks
Rich

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:39 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26478323
Various reports of tree losses from the National Trust.
Wendelspanswick

Previous

Return to General