Small Woodland Owners' Group

Alternative to noisy chainsaw

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Alternative to noisy chainsaw

Postby Patandsam » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Hello again. Just to let you know how we arent making progress trying to get into our wood. We advertised free wood if someone wanted to fell it and and had plenty of takers. The first couple turned up to have a go and seemed really nice but we hadn't realised how loud chainsaws are. They are deafening and we had to ask them to stop because it was disturbing the guests and we couldnt think it was so deafening. We thought maybe they had a loud saw and let another person have a go but that was just as bad.

We asked someone else if they would just hand saw it instead but they didnt get very far and gave up. You will probably think we are daft but is there such a thing as a silenced chainsaw or super quiet one? We can't have everyone's ears ringing however much we'd like to clear some paths. Thanks for any help.
Patandsam

Re: Alternative to noisy chainsaw

Postby Andy M » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Hello again. Just to let you know how we arent making progress trying to get into our wood. We advertised free wood if someone wanted to fell it and and had plenty of takers. The first couple turned up to have a go and seemed really nice but we hadn't realised how loud chainsaws are. They are deafening and we had to ask them to stop because it was disturbing the guests and we couldnt think it was so deafening. We thought maybe they had a loud saw and let another person have a go but that was just as bad.

We asked someone else if they would just hand saw it instead but they didnt get very far and gave up. You will probably think we are daft but is there such a thing as a silenced chainsaw or super quiet one? We can't have everyone's ears ringing however much we'd like to clear some paths. Thanks for any help.

Yes, I do think you are daft!

Sadly, in order to get the wood felled, you will have to put up with the noise of a chainsaw, or the noise of exceedingly heavy breathing. However, i would have thought that neither should have to go on for very long.
Andy M

Postby Whatisheatnow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:37 pm

I have been told that a good way to silence a chainsaw is to wrap fibreglass or rockwool attic insulation around the saw engine and exhaust. I have never tried it myself but in Ireland we have an illegal activity of stealing hurley butts, i.e. the bottom four feet and roots near the stem of ash trees about twenty five years old. They are used to make hurleys (like flattened hockey sticks) used in Ireland's national game of hurling. I was told that this method is used to deaden the sound of the chainsaws at night.
Whatisheatnow

Postby ballibeg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Chainsaws are air cooled. No air and it will over heat and its life will be shortened.

When I needed to keep noise down I used a hydraulic chainsaw driven from my tractor. The 'put put' of an old tractor seemed more acceptable to my clients than the scream of a nicely tuned 2 stroke.

Husqvana produce a battery chainsaw but I've not used one to comment. I think they can cut for 30 minutes. They are however short in the bar.

Dave
ballibeg

Postby splodger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:56 pm

can you run electic cables upto you wood? an electric chainsaw might be quieter for you
failing that - why not ask whoever is doing the clearing etc to only use the chainsaw at a particular time - maybe when guests are out - and only for short periods.

we have a "no chainsaws on a sunday" rule - just to give neighbours a break from any of our noise - funnily enough - they make the din instead - strimmers. chainsaws, mowers, tractors etc etc
splodger

Postby Dexter's Shed » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:45 pm

sounds very daft expecting trees to get cut down without noise, how about issuing guests with ear defenders, and let the tree fellers go about their job normally
Dexter's Shed

Postby Twybill » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:34 pm

The quietest way is with bowsaws and/or axe. Not as difficult as many imagine it to be, depending on size of tree and for the non-professional, a bow saw with sharp blade does the job. Ear muffs not necessary and you can hear what is going on around. You will probably learn economy of effort much quicker than with a chainsaw and it brings a determination to 'do it right'.
Twybill

Postby Patandsam » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 pm

Our guests pay a premium for what is billed as 'The ultimate in pampering, relaxation and tranquility'. You'll notice theres no mention of chainsaws in that statement. Many of them stay on site for all of their break so there are no 'quiet times' without guests around.
Chainsaws really seem to be a non starter. We have quiet cars and quiet generators so why havent they thought of quiet chainsaws? They make more noise than a powerboat, which are banned on our lake.
Isnt there something like a hydraulic snipper like a log splitter thingy you could hook to a tractor which will quietly just squeeze a tree into pieces? Would a electric log splitter have enough force to chop a tree sideways?
Patandsam

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:28 pm

I think you need one of these, it should like the Lake too.

beaver-away.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby Landpikey » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:01 am

Patandsam wrote:Isnt there something like a hydraulic snipper like a log splitter thingy you could hook to a tractor which will quietly just squeeze a tree into pieces? Would a electric log splitter have enough force to chop a tree sideways?

Splitters go along the grain, not across it like a chainsaw does. Plus without a directional cut the tree can fall in any direction. You're opening up a HSE can of worms if you insist on people doing it that way (even Dexter may baulk at that way of doing it ;) ). A harvester would be able to cope but
1. Aren't quiet
2. Are expensive
3. Not easy to get hold of to cut a small quantity of wood

In my opinion (which is worth as much as you are paying for it) you will struggle to get someone to come in and hand cut the trees. The chainsaw is only used for a very short time when you consider what goes into felling a tree so the noise should be for a short while, especially if you can get the trees out and get them cut to log length elsewhere. However, longer logs are more difficult to move (horse logging an option?).

The electric chainsaw seems about your only option. They are quite reasonably priced (B&Q for £70) but only come in the shorter bar lengths (power restriction due to being electric) of just over 12". But you need to get electric to where you are felling. A quiet generator will still make some noise and you have to lug it into place. The cordless chainsaws are even shorter barred I believe, but you can check the makita/husqvarna websites to check. I think 5" as they are just for general tidying and not attacking a full blown tree.

All in all the requirements you have would put off more and more people. But if you are prepared to wait then eventually someone will come along. The Big 6 keep pushing up prices so someone eventually will take you up on the offer. There are always other ways to do things, it just takes imagination and patience.

Or you could run it as a course for your guests next autumn and only using handtools. They pay and you reap the benefits.
Landpikey

Next

Return to General