Small Woodland Owners' Group

An Itriguing Dilemna

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

An Itriguing Dilemna

Postby oldclaypaws » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Previously, I had mooted what to do with felled large oaks.

After a fortnights enthusiastic brushcutting through my bramble jungle, i find the issue is similar but with a different twist. I have discovered about 10 x 100ft long x 3 ft width Oaks already on the ground, seasoned, dry, but otherwise in excellent condition. Maybe 20-30 Cu Metres of seasoned Oak. Long, straight, wide, dry and crack free.

The question is, can seasoned felled oak be milled OK (it will be a lot harder than green) and what best end use of it? Firewood would seem a waste. If it can be mobile milled, its a great resource, but not entirely sure what to do with it- Suggestions appreciated. I suspect it is tough as Iron, but if it can be cut OK it must have numerous uses?
oldclaypaws

Re: An Itriguing Dilemna

Postby splodger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:05 am

nice find :)
are the trunks whole in length or have they been cut into shorter lengths?

sorting what is on the ground might be a good learning curve - regards your future felling plans ;)

i'd suggest concentrating your brushcutting efforts in the area where the trees are down - clear all brash, remaining limbs etc - to do any sort of splitting or milling, the area needs to be nice and clear. you'll also be able to guage if there are any signs or decay, especially ground side (will also let in light/fresh air) also gives you the opportunity to see if there are any nice burr features or pippy sections - as these would be quite desirable to furniture / table makers.
it's not just the hardness of the wood that you need to consider - the weight is also a major issue - especially if you don't have the right kit to lift and shift.

you'll soon discover that making the most of the timber isn't as easy at it may first appear - it takes time and thought and a great deal of prep.

i think what you eventually "do" with the timber will depend on your particular woodworking skills and/or the depth of your pocket and/or your negotiation skills - knowing that good timber has a value is very different to realising that value ;)
splodger

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks Splodger, you are echoing my own thoughts. Prior to laying into the standing ones, sorting out whats already down would seem a bright idea (least of all because they are in the way) and a good learning curve. I am indeed starting to clear round them to improve access, while investigating what to do with them.

Most of these seem to have been down for less than a decade (one is lying on a Hazel Stool surrounded by anti-deer plastic which was done in 2003), some maybe the last 5 years- some still have the sapwood on and the timber appears to be in excellent condition, dry and with no significant rot or splitting. They are all in one piece, toppled over and supported at the base by the roots which lifts them off the ground for much of the length. I couldn't see them all until now because the brambles had gone over the top, taking advantage of the light from the gaps in the canopy created when they came down.

I hope they can be milled with a mobile mill or are of interest to a sawmill? Clearly most oak is cut green, I wonder if sawmills or mobile SM operators will refuse to deal with older seasoned whole trees? If they will cut them, that's awesome. If not, I guess we've got the next 30 years fuel sorted.... (or I could take up woodturning, with 1,000 Cu Ft of oak I reckon I could make nearly a million light pulls.)

I'll ring a couple of sawmills / mobile types and get an indication of whats do-able. Certainly while tidying some of the top branches it was evident that the heartwood timber inside was in great condition, a wonderful colour and smacked of quality. Could do worse than to chop them up and use the timber for my 'cabin', plus put the rest by in useful lengths/thicknesses for future projects, or flog it off wherever. Time to ring round, or please chip in if anyone has experience of attempting to cut seasoned oak. Might be time to upgrade the chainsaw, somehow I think my diddy Stihl 50cc ,16", is gonna be pushed ?
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:11 am

oldclaypaws wrote:If they will cut them, that's awesome. If not, I guess we've got the next 30 years fuel sorted....

You must burn about the same amount of wood annually as we do - that thought had crossed my mind too ;-)

oldclaypaws wrote:Might be time to upgrade the chainsaw, somehow I think my diddy Stihl 50cc ,16", is gonna be pushed ?

We had an oak come down in a storm around two years ago - too big for me to deal with using my Stihl MS260 but fortunately a neighbour came in with an MS880 (121.6cc) and 48" bar which went through it most spectacularly. I imagine one of those would suit the job!

Cutting some of it for logs even after it being down only a year or two, the difference in speed between a 13" bar and an 18" bar on the same engine (my MS260) is obvious.
SimonFisher

Postby splodger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:31 am

paws - do you know how to split wood by hand - using wedges?

if you do and have the tools - why not cut a shortish length - say 6 to 10 ft (from the top end) if you want to see if it will make boards / table tops etc etc and see what it's like to split
you'd get a better understanding of the "toughness", the condition and more importantly the quality of the grain etc - if you are hoping to sell on

i'd be inclined to nip off a sample anyway - to see how the saw likes it - worse case senario you'll have a few barrowfuls of logs - or a couple of meaty chopping blocks or a good height lump to rest your backside on after a session with the brushcutter ;)
splodger

Postby Dexter's Shed » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:40 pm

go on paws, give it a go, this is how real men do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Ik2GaKbRw
Dexter's Shed

Postby Wendelspanswick » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:58 pm

There used to be a chap who lived at the top of Blagdon Hill just to the South of Taunton who had a mobile mill, we used him and his mill when our static mill caught fire at County Hardwoods. He can't be too far from you?
It was a proper sized mill with all hydraulic handling.
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Making good progress following this up. Have tracked down 3 or 4 possible mobile saw mills and had a very encouraging chat with a couple of people. One of the mobile chappies has all the kit; Lucas saw, lifting gear, big saws, tractor, felling crew and log arches. He's been at it 25 years and also designs and builds oak framed buildings and gives general management advice. Apparently Oaks that have been down a fair time are in all likelyhood still green inside and there's no problem at all cutting them with either a woodmizer or lucas/peterson type saw-so it seems our fallen ones are still good.

Yes, Splodge, I'll have a play with some end bits, try and stop me. A portion will be put aside for woodwork projects and I fancy my 'medieval Thegn's feasting hall' in a clearing. No Dexter, I gave up my early promising pyrotechnic/explosive making hobby after leaving one or two impressive craters. I'd most likely send the tree into orbit or turn it into matchwood- Nitro or Mother of Satan are pretty easy if you Google them, you just need some Tesco Finest detonators and off you go.

We costed it all out and it looks viable. Doing a minimum of a lorry load of Oak (10 trees) means the cost of felling if required, shifting and processing will work out to maybe between 10 and 20 % of the timber value, so well worth doing. I'll need to do a fair bit of groundwork and get the felling license, so don't expect kick off until next winter sometime, not going to rush it. Took quite a few pictures of fallen trees, cocked-up former coppicing and brush cleared areas today, so will post a few later. Its all part of the clear up and milling operation so dont think the three photo themes are splitting the thread.
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Newly cleared path, courtesy of Husky 143 RII

cleared path.jpg

Somewhere under there is a big oak.

Hidden oak.jpg

There's one!

hidden log.jpg
oldclaypaws

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Theres the roots of one, whats at the other end?

Root End.jpg

Ahah! Looking good at the top end- and its a biggy!

top end.jpg

That one may be past its best- unless you're a woodlouse. Fab habitat and 'sculpture'. I think if you pull the handle it pumps water?

dead tree.jpg

(pictures continued next page)........
Last edited by oldclaypaws on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to General