Small Woodland Owners' Group

"Woodlands.co.uk managed" signs

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Re: "Woodlands.co.uk managed" signs

Postby SimonFisher » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:38 pm

oldclaypaws wrote:Again, a call to the Woodlands area rep would establish whether or not these individuals were genuinely from the company or not. I'd be surprised if they did culling.

Our woods are part of a larger wood in Hampshire, a significant piece of which is retained owned by the family behind Woodlands, and so far as I'm aware, they do have deer management carried out on their behalf there.

jennysmate wrote:Visited my wood yesterday and noticed "Woodlands.co.uk Managed" signs have appeared on a couple of my neighboures trees, facing the road. Does anybody know what thats all about?

The "Managed" signs sound different from the normal "For Sale" signs. I'm sure a call or email to Woodlands help satisfy your curiosity - they're a very approachable and friendly lot.
SimonFisher

Postby jennysmate » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:28 am

Couldnt get hold of Simon, the S.E. manager for woodlands, by phone so have e-mailed him.
jennysmate

Postby jennysmate » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:55 am

Got this reply, last night at midnight!

"These signs do help particularly where on occasions power line companies/ highways/local authorities etc need to track down ownership etc for work they need to do on wayleaves, roadside tree situations, dumping etc. We can then outline to these agencies ownership boundaries if necessary.
They are also an indication to people who maybe about to trespass that the woods are actively in use, and hopefully act as a deterrent.
Also some newer owners who have purchased woods that we originally sold to others have a means of finding us."
jennysmate

Postby Dexter's Shed » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:19 am

glad you got it sorted, but Im amazed that this has happened (although it is the main reason I didn't buy my woodland from them) perhaps someone could explain

as the "sales person, they can erect multiple signs for the owner or the inform or warn others

YET

you as an owner, have to enter into a covenant, which clearly states near the bottom....

Wording of the covenant (or “legal promise”) for the transfer
The purchaser hereby covenants with the vendor that the land shall not be used in such a way as to create a nuisance to the neighbouring owners (including the vendor) and specifically the purchasers shall not, and not permit others to:

do any rough or game shooting or pest control at times or in a manner constituting a nuisance or danger to any neighbour;
use the land or access tracks for any sort of racing whether with motor bikes, cars or other vehicles;
use the land for a commercial campsite;
use the land for clay pigeon shooting;
conduct any business from the land apart from forestry or agriculture;
use the land in a way which will damage the access tracks.
The purchaser and successors in title shall not erect any signboards visible from the public highway
The purchaser and successors in title shall not sell the land except as a whole specifically not in such a way that it could be registered in separate titles or in separate ownerships.

July 2009

so, selling the land, do what you want
spending 50k plus, you cant do jack .....
Dexter's Shed

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am

What's your grievance Dexter's Shed?

As someone who owns two woods in a larger woodland originally sold by Woodlands, it's quite comforting to know that we're unlikely to be bothered by any disruptive activities of our neighbours.
SimonFisher

Postby jennysmate » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:46 am

I too was more than happy to buy from woodlandsforsale knowing that I had legal back up if one of my neighbours caused a nuisance.
My house deeds state that I'm not allowed to sell alcohol from my house, now thats what I call a daft covenant. :lol:
jennysmate

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 am

Clearly Dexter you didn't want any restrictions on shooting as that is your thing, but the rest of the terms seem sensible and logical to ensure one owner doesn't cause a disturbance or nuisance to their neighbour.

I didn't buy from Woodlands.co.uk, but I looked at a couple of their woods and they obviously offer a well received service and have sold hundreds of woods, so they have many presumably happy customers and have introduced countless people to the pleasures of woodland ownership. Sure, they make a profit and one or two of the woodland descriptions are a tad 'romanticised', but this is a market economy and in buying a wood to resell they also take a chance it won't sell, nobody is forced to buy a wood from them. As said, why take a poke at them, they seem pretty OK and many of their services are freely available to other internet users which I, as a non-woodlands.co.uk person, appreciate. Frankly if my area rep ever retires I'd be quite happy to consider a job with them, can't be bad; spending your days paid to tour woods and showing them to people.

It shouldn't be forgotten that they kindly pay to host this forum, so any negative comments about them are somewhat ungrateful, its a bit like attending a party and openly criticising the host.
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 am

oldclaypaws wrote:It shouldn't be forgotten that they kindly pay to host this forum, so any negative comments about them are somewhat ungrateful, its a bit like attending a party and openly criticising the host.

I don't think anyone should feel they can't criticise Woodlands (Woodlands For Sale / Woodlands.co.uk / Woodland Investment Management Ltd) because of the fact that they sponsor SWOG and this forum.
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:24 pm

I don't know whether SWOG has total autonomy from .co.uk, but have certainly never felt that .co.uk use any influence over the forum, either in terms of advertising opportunities, direct email or ensuring they like what is written. I'd be curious to know whether anyone connected to organising SWOG is actually on a retainer or salary from .co.uk, and how .co.uk see the forum offering any 'value' to them. In would appear to be moderately philanthropic of them to sponsor SWOG as an independent entity without any apparent commercial return from it.

I actually have no criticisms of .co.uk to offer, they appear to be good at what they do, give a lot of information to woodland owners in general, and offer a straight forward service. Woodlands are a 'niche' market, and apart from Cleggs who deal in larger commercial woods, .co.uk seem to be in effect creating their own market in a fairly slick friendly way.

I suspect part of the real reason signs are stuck up is advertising. Signs were up on a busy road near Honiton on the A30 for years, and thousands of people will have become aware of woodlands.co.uk from these various roadside hoardings. If they aren't breaking any by-laws, fair play. I would do the same in their position if I could get away with it, its a cheap and cunning way of raising awareness of their service.
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:58 pm

I've been a 'member' of SWOG for some five to six years, when I attended what I believe to be its first meeting held on 29th March 2008 at the Woodland Enterprise Centre in Flimwell, East Sussex. We chatted with other owners, had some talks and presentations, did some group activities, and generally had an very interesting day sharing knowledge and information, absorbing lots and at the same time planting thoughts and ideas to be recalled later.

It was at that meeting that I met Angus Hanton (the man behind Woodlands) and his parents for the first time - all passionate about sharing the experience that is woodland ownership, and very nice people too. Angus was absolute in his view that participation in SWOG would be without charge and that he would fund its running. So far as I'm aware the people who coordinate and organise SWOG are paid for their time. And yes, so far as I can see, that's his donation to the woodland owners of the UK.

I'm certainly grateful to Woodlands for sponsoring SWOG and for plastering their signs about! It was one of those "Woodland For Sale" signs that got us curious and made us spend many weekends roaming Kent, East and West Sussex and Hampshire before we found our bit.
SimonFisher

PreviousNext

Return to General