Small Woodland Owners' Group

Forum spellchecker

Topics that don't easily fit anywhere else!

Forum spellchecker

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:22 am

This may not be the most life or death issue, or woody, but anyone who has ever typed a message on this Forum may have experienced the same bug that really gets me.

If I type 'colour', its immediately highlighted in red and I'm prompted to become a New-Yorker and correct it to 'color'. Likewise, if I use an 'ise' ending, chances are I'll be told to change it to a curious foreign 'z', as in 'customize' or 'organize'. I believe this letter is referred to across the pond as a 'Zee', as in Zee Zee Top, who should be more correctly referred to as Zed Zed Top.

Is there any way the Forum spellchecker can be changed to our native language rather than this foreign abuse of Shakespeare's own tongue? Surely the global language is English, not American.

There must be a new generation of youngsters prompted by their various gadgets to start using 'color', 'favorite', 'criticize', etc which could erode the English language to some garbled foreign tongue, with billfolds for our money, sidewalks to stroll on and goods 'expedited' to us rather than 'sent' or 'shipped'.

Could we not do our little English victory against this invader, and correct the Forum to English spell-checking if possible?

Thank you and 'have a nice day, buddy'.
oldclaypaws

Re: Forum spellchecker

Postby splodger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:55 am

i don't use a spellchecker - and didn't know that the forum had one in it's settings (couldn't find one in ucp)
is it in your browser settings?
splodger

Postby Rich » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:59 am

I've just looked around the (exhuastive) settings of the board software and I can't see any reference to a spell checker, let alone a 'British' spell checker. There is a language setting which is set to British English, but this is not a speechecker. I believer there is a plug in spell checker available, but I've never downloaded it as we mostly seem to be able to get our messages across without it.

I wonder if your browser is checking the spelling for you with a US database?
Rich

[email protected]og.org.uk
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Rich » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:01 am

Rich wrote: not a speechecker.
Rich

..........see what I mean!

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby Rich » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:10 am

splodger wrote:is it in your browser settings?

Well done Splodger! As Captain Manwaring would say.

"I was wondering when someone would think of that! ;)

[email protected]
www.swog.org.uk
Rich

Postby jennysmate » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:45 am

One of my apps had these in the list of languages
Chinese
Simplified Chinese
English
Simplified English ( American)
jennysmate

Postby Wendelspanswick » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:27 am

jennysmate wrote:One of my apps had these in the list of languages
Chinese
Simplified Chinese
English
Simplified English ( American)

Now that made me laugh, thank you!
Wendelspanswick

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 am

Hurrah! I've found the guilty bit of software and I'm English again. (Well, Geordie, which counts as half English). It wasn't anything to do with SWOG, apologies to Swog's software, it was my Mozilla Firefox browser. It has a setting under advanced options for 'check my spelling as I type', and it only does American spelling. I've disabled it and now I'm not spell checked at all.

Presoomablie that meens frum now on Isle be a garrbling idiott but a Britishe one at leest.
oldclaypaws

Postby SimonFisher » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:47 am

oldclaypaws wrote:Hurrah! I've found the guilty bit of software and I'm English again. (Well, Geordie, which counts as half English). It wasn't anything to do with SWOG, apologies to Swog's software, it was my Mozilla Firefox browser. It has a setting under advanced options for 'check my spelling as I type', and it only does American spelling. I've disabled it and now I'm not spell checked at all.

You might be able to install another (British English) spell checker as an add-on.

oldclaypaws wrote:Presoomablie that meens frum now on Isle be a garrbling idiott...

You already said, you're a Geordie ;-)
SimonFisher

Postby oldclaypaws » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:04 am

For anyone else who uses Firefox (which is a good browser) I can now advise how to maintain spellchecking, but change it to English. Believe it or not, the default language is US English and you have to download British English as an add-on. The cheek !

Firstly, activate spellcheck if not already functioning by going to tools > options > advanced > general, and tick the spellcheck box.

Then, when typing such as an email or Forum message, right click on an empty part of the dialogue box. Under 'languages', go to 'download dictionary' and choose 'English British'. Download.

Rightclick on another dialogue box, chose language, this time British English appears as an option! Chose it as preference, and its just like having the sadistic Mrs Foster at junior school standing over you again, but this time you just get a red line, not a crack on the knuckles with a ruler for misspelling. (Still got the scars).

Favourite colour, favourite colour! Isn't it great !
oldclaypaws

Next

Return to General